carnage 3ciii

Are you working on a certain project? Renovating an old machine?
Tell us about it here and show us the progress.

Topic author
MrF
Flag: France

Re: carnage 3ciii

Post #181 by MrF » Sat May 22, 2021 6:54 pm

What this situation demands is a pair of new pin bosses, to weld into my original dipper. And it turns out the pin bosses tore out of my original loader arms are 2" id, and after a little lathe love two 3" pin bosses have appeared from them...
jcb_dipper_bosses.jpg

I'll use the original pin with lumps welded on the ends to keep them in alignment as theyre welded in. Yes the cab needs to be next once this is resolved :)
jcb_dipper_bosses_andpin.jpg

Now I have to cut off the original ruined 2.25" boss that's there flush with the cheeks of the dipper itself, and bore a hole to the od of these bosses, which fortunately my portable hydraulic boring bar will go small enough to do. I'm going to get it in the barn for that on some trestles because waiting for the rain to stop is painful of late. It seems I'm stuck in the office all week in blazing sun, then the weekend or if I take a day off to make progress, it pees down the whole weekend! C'est la vie...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
MrF

Post #182 by MrF » Sun May 30, 2021 4:27 pm

All quiet, on the 3c front because the tig is out of action after I melted the power conductor in the torch when the watercooler went wrong and I noticed too late... Parts should be here shortly though.

So bit on the forklift while I have chance. Replaced fuel sender with a generic gauge kit sender off amazon for 30e for gauge and sender. Bit better than the price of the oem part which I got quoted at 468e. Reused the mount but fitted the variable resistor + float from the new one, works fine.

Also now I have a shiny new alternator, no oil leaks, I thought I better fix the brakes. To do this apparently you have to pop the wheel off then remove the wheel bearing then the brake drum. A top tip I was given was to bolt the driveshaft on backwards and use it as a giant lever to remove the drums instead of hitting the outsides of the drums with hammers or trying to lever them off. Worked great.
forktruck_brakesoff.jpg

Left side all fine, removed the pads to check everything free, bit of copper slip where it needed it for the future and back together.
Right side, drum and shoes have fine film of oil, we have the culprit.
forktruck_brakeleak.jpg

Strip the assembly, and yes, diagnosis confirmed. One side of the cylinder is leaking under pressure.
forktruck_wheelcylinderpistons.jpg

The bore isnt the worst I've ever seen, but I can get a complete wheel cylinder for 50e, so that's what I'll do as it looks a little like this may have been honed in the recent past anyway.
forktruck_wheelcyl_bore.jpg

So now I have to wait on the parts for the forktruck too. But I have plenty of other things to get sorted anyway.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
MrF

Post #183 by MrF » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:26 pm

Still waiting on welder parts, theyre due this am now according to the courier, but the forklift slave cylinder turned up from a outfit called LS Forklifts in northern Ireland. I'd recommend ordering by phone if you use them as their website is in the process of getting replaced and doesn't send out confirmations of ordering/payment etc. Still digital issues aside, the order arrived really quick and they sent me confirmation once I rang them up.
Sat, the new slave cylinder went on. Process is to remove the handbrake mechanism then the backplate from the axle completely then dismount the slave cylinder on the bench, as two bolts are shrouded by the axle casting, 3 fasteners holding the old slave cylinder to the baseplate were seized & needed loosening with a angle grinder so the new one went in with normal hex bolts in place of the 12 point originals and a bit of antiseize on the fasteners. Really glad putting it back together that I had pictures of the springs/handbrake mechanism linkages layout on my phone...
Emptied and cleaned out the master cylinder & son enlisted to pump the brake pedal while I did the wheel cylinder end and bled decent quantity out both sides to evict last of old water contaminated fluid. And it has footbrake, handbrake and the grease nipples all over it have been reunited with a long absent friend, a grease gun.
Sunday I got sidetracked by another really vital job, re-piped the mrs's spa as it was leaking and out of action, but now that's done too, I can crack on with the rest of the jcb work in serenity. Happy wife, happy life.

Topic author
MrF

Post #184 by MrF » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:08 pm

Saturday I tried the portable cylinder boring bar I had, with a custom tooltip to let it bore narrower diameter, but there were some hard inclusions from previous repair work and it kept knocking the bar round on its mounts and stressing the drive cable to the head. Plus it was leaking oil really badly so that's another job on the list before I rebore anything again. I considered welding some mounts onto the arm to keep it anchored better but didnt want to destroy the drive cable instead, as its 80 years old and you can't pop the shops for a spare.

So nothing for it but to move the machines round & it goes, The first mill is the cnc bridgeport on the left, but its not really suited to this task as it doesn't have a lot of Z to reach through both sides in one setup. So I moved my universal mill into the main walkthrough halfway in and posted the arm in with the forklift & fork extensions as close as I dared, then finished it off lifting with mr sketchy and farm jack to walk it up wooden cribbing into the machine.

I have the Z travel to get to the hole at the bottom to bore it, but the dipper will foul the clutch arm on the machine. I've cut it off previously and welded it back on to get it in the low workshop doorway but I might just flip the dipper so the hole is at the top, that way the machine won't be as top heavy when the spindle is lined up with the boss.

All good fun, picked the hottest day of the year so far to do it though. More confident the resulting job will be done properly and correctly aligned anyway.

Topic author
MrF

Post #185 by MrF » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:04 pm

Flipped the arm rather than cutting the machine about more. Much easier to fixture and I worked a way to get both sides bored in a single setup without moving the table in X or Z using the overarm and a really long horizontal arbour. Its actually the first time I've used this in 20 years of ownership, so this could be that ONE time its turned out to be really handy, but we shall see...
First the outer edge, cut with a old gear cutter with some chipped teeth but still a few good ones for this job (bit like me)

Then slack off the arbour in situ, take off the outer support bearing/outrigger, strip it down and adjust spacers to put the cutter where it needs to be for the second side. Whizz it all back together and tomorrow its ready to go because the arm itself is quite warm still and its melty hot in the workshop after a day setting up and cutting so am letting it all chill down overnight.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #186 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:02 pm

Nice one Phil :claphands: :thumbup: great job there and a handy piece of kit to boot.

Jeremy

Slooby
Flag: Great Britain

Post #187 by Slooby » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:06 pm

Oh to have such toys....

Even just getting my lathe here would be great, then running for the first time in my ownership would be brilliant!
CMN Stuff: MF65, Thwaites Nimline, JCB 3CX
Projects: S11a 88" V8 Hybrid, 2 x S111 109"s, Mk11 Mini, Harrison L5A :doh:
Ish projects: T25 Camper, ST675R
Just added: Alpine S5 & Bridgeport Mk2 :wtf:
Sorely Missed: Impreza, E39 M5

Topic author
MrF

Post #188 by MrF » Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:11 pm

its taken me 10 years to get to this stage for the same reasons, the first year my machines were all in storage at the other house, then I had to move them here but I didn't have a workshop so they had to get crammed into a storage room, eventually I got enough of the house finished to satisfy my promise to the family that I would focus on the house build.
Now its awesome, even if the barn isnt done. Just got to keep plugging away, it comes in the end.

Speaking of keeping plugging away, today I made some progress. Hopefully tomorrow I can get the bucket ram connected and the bucket on and declare this stage of work complete. I'm looking forward to having a reasonable amount of control on the bucket position for the first time in my ownership.

And yeah, rerouting some of the hoses around the kingpost is on the agenda shortly also. Its suffered from odd length hose replacements in the past I think, but now I have replacements that should be the correct length I can get rid of some of the more bizarre routing.

Topic author
MrF

Post #189 by MrF » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:29 pm

And a little bit more, dodging storms but I had the dipper poking into the barn and used the forklift under cover.

The bottom pivot boss grew a grease nipple by tapping through the welded on plate, but it must have had a gap between it and the pivot bush and once everything was assembled and being greased up I think I was filling up the end of the dipper with grease. So I'll have to revisit and drill & tap it larger, and drill partially through larger and use a extension piece to make sure the grease nipple is screwed into the pivot like the top bucket pivot grease nipple is done.

I just have to turn up some spacers or find shorter pins for this narrow bucket then it could in theory go do a bit of work.

But now as we;ve had so much rain and everywhere is so soft, if I take it into the garden proper it will get stuck and make a mess, so I'll sort this mess out first. Note the hose that loops around the outside of the kingpost guide...

Jeremy Rowland

Post #190 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:25 am

Yes getting everything greased up is important, it's lack of the sticky stuff that causes wear issues in the first instance, so far as I am concerned you cannot have too much lube at a moving mechanical joint.

Jeremy

Return to “Projects”