carnage 3ciii

Are you working on a certain project? Renovating an old machine?
Tell us about it here and show us the progress.

Jeremy Rowland

Re: carnage 3ciii

Post #171 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed May 12, 2021 9:11 pm

I will have a look when the chance presents itself I could do with running it up. :thumbup:

Jeremy

essexpete

Post #172 by essexpete » Thu May 13, 2021 9:53 am

Jeremy Rowland wrote:I will have a look when the chance presents itself I could do with running it up. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Got your head turned by the French lady? :D

Topic author
MrF
Flag: France

Post #173 by MrF » Thu May 13, 2021 12:21 pm

He's been playing with his poclain a lot for sure :D

The missing special banjo bolt has been located, in injector overspill connection on injector #2. It runs a LOT better now a) the pump has enough diesel pressure and b) injector 2 can spill off excess fuel. I cut the overlong banjo bolt shorter too before relocating it to the injector spill off position so no more odd spacer nut.
The overspill having flow has contributed to a much smoother engine also. Its still a bit shaky at high rpm, but it might be kinder just to not spin it that fast before I get the tacho working again to see how fast its spinning and set the injection pump stops properly because obviously they were altered to compensate for the above by someone prior.

Predictably I found someone selling the special bolt on ebay this am before going out and bought one, the seller has 9 new old stock left if anyone else needs one ;)

Matchless?58
Flag: Great Britain

Post #174 by Matchless?58 » Thu May 13, 2021 7:55 pm

Hi Phil any chance of a pic of the new set up . I would like to check mine . Cheers Chris

Jeremy Rowland

Post #175 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu May 13, 2021 10:09 pm

essexpete wrote:
Jeremy Rowland wrote:I will have a look when the chance presents itself I could do with running it up. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Got your head turned by the French lady? :D

Yes Pete indeed too much to do and too little time I'll get there in the end though; I did run the Hymac up today, she does run a lot better than she did before I fitted the one way valve, I do know that some previous owner has by-passed the glass sediment bowl so at some time in the past so there has been a problem there before.

Jeremy

Topic author
MrF

Post #176 by MrF » Thu May 13, 2021 10:34 pm

Matchless?58 wrote:Hi Phil any chance of a pic of the new set up . I would like to check mine . Cheers Chris

its quite simple now I understand it, the bolt indicated here where the filter head connects to the spill rail needs to be a Leyland 27H6663 Banjo Bolt on the older engine with the simms filter head and injectors, its to keep 7psi of pressure in the diesel system for the pump to work properly yet still allow air to return to the tank so it can self bleed :-
jcb_banjolocation.jpg

Whats special about it is the size of the hole in it. 0.5mm.
banjo.jpg

On the older setup, its also the same size and dimension as the injector spill pipe banjo bolts, so if its not the correct one, that's the first place to check. Its effectively sticking a solid bolt in the spill connection so causes all sorts of oddness when the injector can't return its overspill back to the tank. I imagine that pot has been overfuelling and causing the weird misfire at higher rpms when it couldn't.

Charleys have them, and specify a wide range of models it fits so I think thats most of the jcb 3c range with the simms pump.
https://www.charnleys.com/part/nuffield ... banjo-bolt

or they're cheap on ebay too. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233641593582? - edit, I just had this turn up and its a different size and pitch than I was expecting, I'm not sure if I've messed up or its the seller got it wrong as it has no packing, but as I found my bolt in a injector I'll just write it off as experience.

Tractorspares uk has the bellows gaiter for the cold start button (and I buy stuff from them as stuff they post me actually arrives in a reasonable time frame), so next time I have occasion to order from them I'll add one on as theyre cheap also.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MrF on Sun May 23, 2021 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matchless?58
Flag: Great Britain

Post #177 by Matchless?58 » Sat May 15, 2021 12:14 pm

Thank you for the picture and your explanation which I can actually understand . I am going to check that out on mine as I don't recall seeing any such bolt on the fuel system . Every day is a school day so many thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience with your machine .
Haven't started my new water pump yet as I have been seeding and rolling my new wildflower meadow . Got to get that done now while the maximum growing season is here . The JCB has served me well here moving over 200 tons of fresh topsoil into the field ready for seeding so I owe it the water pump at the very least !
Cheers Chris

Topic author
MrF

Post #178 by MrF » Sun May 16, 2021 12:20 pm

Had my second covid jab this am, so posting these while I have a coffee & wait for it to dry up so I can finish off. I'm doing all these repairs to my machine because I owe it having used it to build my family house. Though I need it for some other jobs afterwards also and my mrs is probably right that I wont want to sell it after and have someone undo any work I did so I'll end up keeping it 'just in case' I need a jcb 3c for something.

I inherited the machine with this problem on the main dipper bush. When you have to weld bars on a pin to stop it walking out there's something bad going on, and it can be clearly seen that the dipper bush is split. The other side is bellmouthed too and there's a ton of play in the joint.

So now's finally time to get on with sorting it. Off with the bucket and dipper after cutting the welded on bit off the pin, and a hose and the hardlines from the 3c2 to keep the muck out. The pins all came out without a fight. The pivot on the boom isnt wrecked like I was expecting which is also a bonus.

On the ground, you can see the whole side of the dipper bush area is twisted, to fix this it would have to be worked back into parallel then bushes made up. But as I have a spare dipper in good condition, I will just put this in the spares stash and repair it if I ever need it as its not fatigued like the loader arms were.

I was however surprised to find a hole in the end where the bucket goes. Someone has welded a flat plate onto the end of the arm arm because I presume the bucket bush has tore out at some point, and they left a hole unfilled with metal or welded up for some reason. They'd also eliminated the grease nipples from the joint, which I'll be rectifying when I put it back together with the new dipper.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #179 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun May 16, 2021 3:51 pm

Hmm not clever removing grease nipple lubrication points :wtf: you have a bit of work to do there but nothing that cannot be sorted. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Topic author
MrF

Post #180 by MrF » Sat May 22, 2021 3:22 pm

This week a izusu rodeo 4x4 alternator arrived for the forklift, I'd took a gamble on this fitting because it looked very close in appearance in pictures and was 90e in place of 460 quoted for the hyster one. Its 60a in place of 30 but as its a externally excited alternator it wont harm it to have too much output.
I did originally plan to change the pulleys over & run the smaller alternator pulley but there wasn't much difference and the original steel pulley was worn.
So with a little bit of rerouting of the oil line its gone in with a bit of fiddling about. And now I have 13.8v when the engine is running and battery discharged, and no more oil leaking from the vacuum pump onto the exhaust.

So now to the JCB which has sat with its dipper misaligned to push the pivot pin home. After fettling the forklift, I rigged up the dipper again using it and picked it up so I could manipulate it easy, and got it lined up without any drama then. And then another issue came to light, the dipper pivot pin on the older machine is smaller, I measured it roughly as 48mm, and the newer machine has a 2" pin. I measured up the booms on both mk2 and mk3, and the whole eye of the boom pivot & bearing is larger on the later machine. I'd checked pivot centre's and the diameter internally for the pivot bush and ram eyes to fit into, but didn't think to check they had the same pin diameters.
Edit, its oval, so bad a normal pin wont go in, as noted it was already separate from the machine when I collected it, maybe this is why. More crap to harvest the other bosses etc out of it.

I just measured the pin out of my machine with the T's welded on it as 2", but the pin bosses in my old dipper are 2.25" id. Could it be that what's on the machine is missing some shims or something??? It would certainly explain why the arm joint was so wobbly. 1/4" difference between pivot boss and pin. No wonder they welded bars across it to keep it in. I knew it was fubar, but this would have been so easily sorted when it was done instead of doing this.

Current plan, make up some 2" bush bosses to weld into my original dipper and cut off the 2.25" ones.
Last edited by MrF on Sun May 23, 2021 1:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Projects”