JCB 3DMKll

Are you working on a certain project? Renovating an old machine?
Tell us about it here and show us the progress.

Topic author
josephcyril

JCB 3DMKll

Post #1 by josephcyril » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:10 pm

New to the forum, greetings all from down under. :wave:
I recently landed myself a JCB 3DMKll, this particular model comes with the engine in the front bucket - in pieces!
We have a 5 acre property which we will want to do some ground work to in the future (about $6000 - $8000 worth if we get someone in) so consulted flea bay to see what was on offer. $1800 + $700 haulage got the beast home and without an engine that was no mean feat. I pulled it off the low loader with the trusty MF35, then pulled the low loader out of the paddock the same way - sorry, no pics of that!
Anyhow I'm $2500 down so have a bit of room to move on the engine rebuild before I get close to my project costs.
First job has to be the Leyland 38TD engine of course, the cylinder head is away being re-worked, the crankshaft (A story in itself; it went missing, a replacement was found which was stolen & recovered 10 minutes before I went to collect it!) is away being ground, then a full engine rebuild kit will be ordered with sleeves, pistons, the lot.
The manuals in the forum's files section are a gold mine of information, not being from an earth moving background there were some silly questions I needed answered.
So the restoration has started, I've sand blasted & painted the engine bearers etc & looking quite spivy. I intend to repaint the whole unit in due course but just getting it to move will be the first major hurdle!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

essexpete

Re: JCB 3DMKll

Post #2 by essexpete » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:25 pm

That looks like you are making the 35 work! Good luck with the project, what will spares be like in Oz.
Where abouts are you?

Topic author
josephcyril

Post #3 by josephcyril » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:53 pm

I'm on the New South Wales Central Coast, a town called Wyong. Sounds like a broken spring I know but it is a real town!

The pic with the 35 was during a prolonged head scratching period, as you can see the back of the JCB is in a drainage gully and the 35 had said 'No way!' to pulling it out - mainly due to traction. In the end I doubled up with a snatch block on a (very) stout fence post & out she came. Attached is a pic of how the 35 ended up later that day when pulling the JCB into position. :doh:

The engine rebuild parts are fairly easy to get, I've found a true gent at Rouse Hill Tractors in Sydney, Colin has been a font of useful information and encouragement though I have yet to spend a cent with him. Soon as the crank shaft & head come back I can order all the new engine components and his pay day will come!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #4 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:06 am

Welcome Tim, looks like you have got your work cut out there, looks an interesting project though. :claphands:

Jeremy

MFWBB

Post #5 by MFWBB » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:29 am

Hi Tim, new to the forum myself. Welcome from the States, Oregon specifically. :claphands: Great looking project. At $2500. that would be a steal in the U.S. Good luck on the rebuild and please send pics as you progress.
Mike

Martyn Henley
Flag: Great Britain

Post #6 by Martyn Henley » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:33 pm

Welcome to CMN Tim and Mike ..

Tim you have there a lot of bits to put together, Mike Eacock of Worcester refurbished a 3Dmk2 a couple of years ago back to it original condition .. i cant find pictures of the machine .. but best of luck, and if you want any advise or help, just ask on here, i am sure there will be some one to answer your questions ..

And as Mike said, keep us all updated on your progress :thumbup:

Martyn

Topic author
josephcyril

Post #7 by josephcyril » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:08 am

Thanks for the welcome guys!
Martyn - I saw the pics of Mike's 3DMK2 - excellent work! With my untrained eye I could spot a couple of differences to mine, namely the bucket cylinders, most other machines have a long cylinder running the length of the lift arm but mine are short & stumpy. What's that all about? Am I developing hydraulic cylinder envy?
I've no idea of the date of the machine either, can they be traced by engine - serial numbers etc?

BulldozerD11

Post #8 by BulldozerD11 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:31 am

Martyn Henley wrote:Welcome to CMN Tim and Mike ..

Tim you have there a lot of bits to put together, Mike Eacock of Worcester refurbished a 3Dmk2 a couple of years ago back to it original condition .. i cant find pictures of the machine .. but best of luck, and if you want any advise or help, just ask on here, i am sure there will be some one to answer your questions ..

And as Mike said, keep us all updated on your progress :thumbup:

Martyn

Hi Martyn

Sure i posted some of it at an earlier show up on here (but cannot remember which event or thread it was in) :doh: , but it was at Tractor World at Malvern this weekend so will post some new ones for Tim when i get them off the camera card.

Dave
Interested in Tractors, Plant, Heavy Haulage or Steam visit http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Tractor_%26_Construction_Plant_Wiki
Help document every manufacturer model build, and record every machine in preservation, clubs and events etc.

Martyn Henley
Flag: Great Britain

Post #9 by Martyn Henley » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:44 am

Am I developing hydraulic cylinder envy?

Hi Tim .. no not at all ... you have there what appears to be a 1971/72 JCB 3D mk2 with parallel lift arms .. it was JCB's attempt to get the front bucket to remain level at all heights of the operation of the loading arm .. it was not that successful, the arms had a weak point at the bucket end of the arms, both the 3Dmk2 and its bigger brother the 4dmk2 had these fitted, but was dropped in 1975 and replaced by the more traditional design, the machine you have there Tim looks original apart from the nose ...
This picture is of a 4D mk2 .. i believe this is the machine that Mike is rebuilding at the moment...
123 599.jpg

The picture was taken by a friend of mine who went to view this machine at Evesham in Worcestershire .. but you can see the loading arms quite well...

This picture is of a model i did a few years ago for Mike Eacock, but its the only picture i have of the parallel lift arms in a raised position
P1010178.JPG

Sure i posted some of it at an earlier show up on here

Hi Dave, yes i am sure you have posted a picture of Mike's machine, i think you took it when the machine was on display at SED a couple of years ago .. but like you i could not find it :dizzy:
But thank you :thumbup:

Martyn

Topic author
josephcyril

Post #10 by josephcyril » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:40 pm

Thanks Dave,
Martyn I think I got a little muddled :? - the long cylinders I was referring to were on what was labelled a 3DMK2, I think it was by CJM plant 22/6/09. From what you are saying that (or at least the lift arms) must have been a much later machine.

Return to “Projects”