JCB 3C MkIII in France

Are you working on a certain project? Renovating an old machine?
Tell us about it here and show us the progress.

Topic author
Froglet

Re: JCB 3C MkIII in France

Post #21 by Froglet » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:05 pm

I prefer a proper French folk song... 8-)

Ma Crepe Suzette
Oh my GOD...WHAT HAVE I DONE!!!!!!

My French Business - Les Bons Voisins

Topic author
Froglet

Post #22 by Froglet » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:03 pm

topkit wrote:...the 3rd picture is your oil filter which is inside that metal canister, the other item that you point to is the fuel bowl there will also be a lift pump which you use to help bleed the fuel system if you have it open or get an air lock in the system.

Hi again Topkit.
Just re-read your post - the bit I've highlighted above has me intrigued - any idea where the lift pump is in relation to the fuel bowl? I've seen a lift pump for sale on eBay (diggerpartsuk.net) but can't find anything that looks like it under the bonnet...

All the best

Eamonn

topkit
Flag: Great Britain

Post #23 by topkit » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:16 pm

I will need to lift the bonnet on my machine i can't remember if the lift pump ia in the left hand side of the block or the right you cant miss it if you see the one on e-bay and have a look under all of the oil and grease if you can degrease and pressure clean everything it will help as you work on it.

diggerjones

Post #24 by diggerjones » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:28 pm

on the photo it looks like the lift pump is under the manifold,
cheers diggerjones

BulldozerD11

Post #25 by BulldozerD11 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:03 am

Froglet wrote:Hooray!!!

Managed to get a new battery in the JCB this morning and she spluttered into life first time!!

Loads of white smoke (mainly due to the lack of a working silencer and some water in the fuel) but she idles beautifully after a minute or so.

I've been referring to the manaul for the 2C/3C/3D etc that I downloaded from this site, but there are few inconsistencies.

Specifically, I need to know does the 3C Mk3 have a fuel shutoff valve and if so , where the hell is it...?

Also, I've taken a few pictures of various bits in the engine bay. As I'm new to this engine, can anyone take the time to look at the photos and help me identify the engine parts I've highlight.

Lastly, what grade hydraulic fluid should I be topping up with?

Look forward to some enlightening responses... :bow:

Long time since i played with a 3 C but looking at your photos
1)little black pipe is a return from the injectors to to the fuel tank
In that photo there is also what looks like an oil filler. This should have a cap on as it is for the hydraulic oil and that is stored in the chassis members and without a beather cap will get contaminated. Early machines it was higher up with a screw top IIRC

In the photo with the oil filter and primary fuel filter and water trapbowl. The diesel lift pump is hidden below the exhaust manifold above the oil filter mounting you can see the fuel pipe heading to it

See this side shot of a nuffield engine in a tractor (note oil filter is rotated 180 degrees for access).

IMG_8712.JPG

I'd also suggest before changing hydraulic oil have a good look for leakes and damaged (frayed ) main hoses/pipes and fix / replace, as if on the pump - valves- return - tank circuit, as a bad leak / burst will loose all the new oil quickly from the circuit.

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Interested in Tractors, Plant, Heavy Haulage or Steam visit http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Tractor_%26_Construction_Plant_Wiki
Help document every manufacturer model build, and record every machine in preservation, clubs and events etc.

Topic author
Froglet

Post #26 by Froglet » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:53 pm

Thanks for all the helpful replies. After some serious degreasing and jetwashing, I found the lift-pump exactly where you said it would be.

Also, the machine looks notably more yellow than it did this morning...

Took it for a spin round our land this afternoon. I noticed that the front and rear bucket controls are very jerky so I think I'll have to check the fluid and filters. Also, the power steering is crazy - sometimes it's a two0handed job to get the wheel to turn. Again, I'll be checking/replacing the fluid and making sure all the hoses and linkages are OK.

A bientot :wave:

Gold Digger

Post #27 by Gold Digger » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:51 pm

Old J.C.B. :arrow: Cest la vie ," rev her up an watch it go " :thumbup:

essexpete

Post #28 by essexpete » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:32 am

topkit wrote:Just go onto E-BAY and put JCB 3C in the search and this will bring up filters, gaskets, lift pumps etc, I am not far from Maidstone myself the nearest JCB dealer is Greensheilds in Hailsham sussex.

There is a guy based on a farm south of Maidstone that used to carry a lot of secondhand spares for old JCBs.

If you are doing the fuel filters don't forget the first sediment/water trap tucked back almost out of sight near the tank/bulkhead.

topkit

Post #29 by topkit » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:25 pm

Is that the chap in Merryworth i know him he has two container loads of parts !! he shares a field with a local contractor who has loads of old tractors and plant in the same field, I have been there a few times, there also used to be a really decent chap out at Stapelhurst he was called Quadrant plant and it was like Alladins cave there he used to buy the odd old JCB and Hymac machine in and clean up / repaint and sell on he had loads of photos of the machines on the wall in his barn. He has retired from the game now which is a great pity as he was pretty close for me to get parts.

Froglet if you are getting the parts in the UK and need to get them over to France go to Interparcel.co.uk they have accounts with DHL and UPS, FEDEX and are very reasonable with there shipping costs so if you are getting someone in the UK to get all of the parts you need then box them up and book interparcel on the tinterweb and they send a van up to collect the box and it is usually delivered within a few days, i use them all of the time every week.

Topic author
Froglet

Post #30 by Froglet » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:32 pm

:bow:

Once again, thanks to all for the info.

This forum has turned out to be a godsend for a Newbie like me...

Bon weekend.

Eamonn :wave:

Return to “Projects”