Excited Female looking forward to restoring JCB 3C MK 2

Are you working on a certain project? Renovating an old machine?
Tell us about it here and show us the progress.

Topic author
paul.morris275

Re: Excited Female looking forward to restoring JCB 3C MK 2

Post #11 by paul.morris275 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:35 pm

Looks like the third one 1972 - 1975 model.

Having huge problems with injector pump, rusty inside and reconditioning place is now umming about whether they will do it!

Anyone had a pump reconditioned at all? pump and wifey in UK at the moment, any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Paul

wispa

Post #12 by wispa » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:59 pm

Do you know what engine you have in it. What sort of price are they talking for reconditioning the unit. It might be worth keeping an eye on ebay as the odd engine comes up for sale and also there are quite a few people breaking jcbs especially towrds the summer.

wispa

Post #13 by wispa » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:20 pm

Just had a quick look on ebay there are a couple of people breaking machines and a few engines for sale. Dont search for 3c just type in JCB and select business, office and industrial. It lists 25 pages but around page 15 there are a couple of 3cs being broken.

Froglet

Post #14 by Froglet » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:17 pm

Spooky or what...!! :wtf:

I live near Cognac (Dept 16) and have just acquired a JCB 3C MkIII (1978). We had it delivered last Tuesday night off the back of an articulated trailer. Due to the difficult access here, it took the poor guy 3 1/2 hours to get it off without ripping his trailer to bits.

So far I've found the following problems:
Battery failing - tried recharging but won't hold a charge
Hydraulic Fluid needs major topping up and the filter needs a damn good clean
Engine and Transmission oils seriously low
Silencer box fell apart the other day due to rust - found a brand new replacement on eBay UK for £75
Only 1 light (out of 6) works - probably fuses but could be wiring
Bodywork is in excellent condition apart from flaking paint and a lot of superficial rust, especially around th base of the cab frame.

Other than the above, she's a beauty...

Keep me up to date on your restoration - any tips or suggestions will always be welcome. Likewise, I'll fill you in with any info. As soon as I get a chance this week, I'll post some pics.

Bon chance

Eamonn
Oh my GOD...WHAT HAVE I DONE!!!!!!

My French Business - Les Bons Voisins

Martyn Henley
Flag: Great Britain

Post #15 by Martyn Henley » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:28 pm

Greetings Eamonn, and a big welcome to CMN :thumbup:

Thats Four of you over in France now that has 3C's in all marks ..funny old world ain't it :? :lol:

We shall look forward to seeing your Pictures Eamonn :thumbup:

Martyn

Froglet

Post #16 by Froglet » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:59 pm

Cheers Martin

Give it a couple of weeks and you'll all be sick of the endless questions......
Oh my GOD...WHAT HAVE I DONE!!!!!!

My French Business - Les Bons Voisins

Topic author
paul.morris275

Post #17 by paul.morris275 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:00 pm

Wispa.

Not sure about price yet, they phoned wifey to go and have a look at the pump, apparently it was very rusty.

So, she is driving to have a look tomorrow morning and then getting a price for it, was going to be £500 but looks like it is going to be a lot more now!!

wispa

Post #18 by wispa » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:56 pm

Well if its going to be that sort of money ur better of getting a complete engine thats running. If yours is the leyland engine theres one going on ebay for 300 quid and it can be heard running ebay number 180463626443 or this one 260537631983. If you put a running second hand lump in you could sell your old block and therefore cost will be kept low.

Topic author
paul.morris275

Post #19 by paul.morris275 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:39 am

This is the Wifey as he calls me!!

Thanks Martin, did find the second item last night on ebay, but not the first one.

Our engine is a Leyland, so hopefully this will be a good solution!?!?

Looks like I will going to have a look at the first engine, anyone who knows about these engines, fancy a trip to Huddersfield if you do???

Lis
Last edited by paul.morris275 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BulldozerD11

Post #20 by BulldozerD11 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:07 pm

Hi Paul / Lis / wifey :?:

Note some of the classic tractors you can get replacement Injector pumps for from £300 according to Agriline catalouge for Ford and Massey (Perkins) engines. They do not list Leyland :thumbdown: But other similar suppliers probably sell replacements (Note these are copies in most cases).

Heres a firm selling BMC / Leyland / Marshall engine parts http://www.peatland.btinternet.co.uk/page7.html (I do not know this firm just found it whilst googling) may be of interest if you need gaskets, liners, pistons. valves & springs etc

You will need to find which skid unit is used in your JCB. Leyland / BMC units have a serial stamped into the cast frame that the engine mounts into.

The Leyland / Nuffield tractor club can probably help with suppliers of 2nd hand or recon units for JCB's based on the Leyland / Nuffield / BMC tractor skid unit.

Earlier machines were based on Ford units till Ford failed to deliver due to problems and Mr JCB got fed up and swaped to Nuffield / Leyland units (burieing a ford unit under the factory floor). Then latter dropped using tractor skid units altogether and used parts from several manufactures and now build there own axles and engines for the most popular models.

Dave
Interested in Tractors, Plant, Heavy Haulage or Steam visit http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Tractor_%26_Construction_Plant_Wiki
Help document every manufacturer model build, and record every machine in preservation, clubs and events etc.

Return to “Projects”