JCB 3c mk2 restoration - paint

Are you working on a certain project? Renovating an old machine?
Tell us about it here and show us the progress.

Topic author
wispa

JCB 3c mk2 restoration - paint

Post #1 by wispa » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:08 pm

After seeing some of the restorations on here i thought that i might be tempted to do my old 3c2. The problem i have is that it will have to be done outside. Everything runs on it and i use it for work around our stables but the paint work needs doing. What would be the best way to attck this? I dont want to spend alot of money. So would it be best to rub the old paint down then prime it. What would be the best primer? If i did a part at a time and primed each part as i went i could spray it all over yellow in one go but is primer enough protection from the rain while i do the other parts. Also anyone got any good ideas in how to get the cab off without having to get a lodall in. I was thinking of building a wooden a farme and then raising that up enough to clear the steering wheel and controls and then pulling the machine out from underneath with the range rover but not sure this will work.
Thanks for your help
Martin
Ill try and put some photos up soon

david000
Flag: Wales

Re: JCB 3c mk2 restoration - paint

Post #2 by david000 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:54 pm

i would go for good old red oxide primer.
depending on how long you plan to leave it between doing a bit and the next bit will depend on how well it will protect from the rain.
best thing to do if there is no way to get it indoors is to gets tarps as it will help protect it whilts your working on it and you.
rubing the paint back depends on how far you want to take the paint back how long you want to spend on it and how good you want the paint job to be.
for the best paint job all the old paint needs to come off and then any bit off rust treated and filled. if your doing that then i would shot blast it back.
but if you dont mind slight marks if the paint is realy thick get a wire wheel for an angle grinder and use that just make shure you have good googles or face mask as flaky paint and rust tend to go flying every where. then flat back if need with sand paper prior to primer.
failing that just rub it back and primer but it has got a tendency to show it has been repainted if paint has flaked.

topkit
Flag: Great Britain

Post #3 by topkit » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:47 pm

I resprayed my 3C MK2 outside, one saturday i spent about 4 hours pressure cleaning and degreasing everything then i spent about 3 weekends going round the machine attacking and flaking paint and surface rust i purchased a few sanding discs for my Bosch orbital sander (this is a very handy tool) then for the more stuborn bits i went to Halfrauds ok (halfords) and got a king of circular wire and fibre disc which is pretty abrhasive and gets any rust back to shiney metal. i then used some hammerite primer (they say do not thin it down but i did as i brushed it on) in the end i ended up with a machine with very flat paint and make sure you have keyed the surface well so the new paint has something to stick to. I got the proper JCB Lemon Chrome and painted it in a weekend, there are a few pics of my machine on here before and after. Good luck, they look great when they have been resprayed. :thumbup:

Topic author
wispa

Post #4 by wispa » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:45 am

Hi thanks for the advice. Topkit if i could get my 3c looking like urs ill be well happy. Did you spray yours or brush it on, if so did you take all the hydraulic pipes off before doing this and how did you go about painting the hydraulic rams. One major problem i have is the bonnet is knackered so any ideas on how to replace that i would be most grateful.
cheers

topkit
Flag: Great Britain

Post #5 by topkit » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:39 pm

I sprayed my machine, some of the hoses i masked up rather than spraying them, same for the rams i masked any of the chrome that was showing, it is best to do the left hand side cab stept etc until last then you can get into the machine and move the loader and backoe to get all of it painted, my bonet had a section which had rusted through so i just whacked a plate on it and painted it, my machine gets a fair bit of use so i was not looking to turn it into show condition, The bonnets and front grilles allways got a lot of abuse on the 3C and 3D machines, Don't forget to take some pictures to post on here. Good luck with it.

Gold Digger

Post #6 by Gold Digger » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:16 pm

;) ive heard you can get good results with a paint roller :arrow: There is 5lt jcb yellow on E bay starting at £10. .

Return to “Projects”