JCB 3Dmk11 Restoration CJM PLANT

Are you working on a certain project? Renovating an old machine?
Tell us about it here and show us the progress.

Topic author
newjcb123uk

JCB 3Dmk11 Restoration CJM PLANT

Post #1 by newjcb123uk » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:16 am

Some pictures of a nice restoration we did a couple of years ago when the demand for secondhand rubber was good. This JCB 3Dmk11 went on to build a house for a self build project. Dispite it's neglected apperance the engine and main bodywork were really sound - as per usual the cab needed major surgery - the main let-down of these classic red, white and yellow beauties. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"A man reaps what he sows"

Hugh Jaleak
Flag: Great Britain

Re: JCB 3Dmk11 Restoration CJM PLANT

Post #2 by Hugh Jaleak » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:33 am

Thanks for sharing those Chris, another fantastic restoration. Must give you an incredible sense of satisfaction to give these machines another lease of life. Only wish I had space, cash and knowlege to do a project like that myself, not sure my better half would agree though! Your pics show what a whopper of a backacter those things had! Got to be light on the front wheels Im sure.....

Cab rot also seems to be an issue on the 800 series 360 machines, cab on our old 818 was slowly rotting itself away. (That seems to have been swapped for a Liebherr R312, 13 years younger but not much faster....)

Just 1 query if I may ask, pics show 3 lever front bucket controls for a 4in1, yet it has the standard bucket on front?

Topic author
newjcb123uk

Post #3 by newjcb123uk » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:46 pm

Just 1 query if I may ask, pics show 3 lever front bucket controls for a 4in1, yet it has the standard bucket on front?[/quote]

The 3rd lever was put in place to facilitate any auxiliary services such as a 4 in 1 bucket or shear grab etc - better looking at it than for it ea? :)

Hugh Jaleak
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by Hugh Jaleak » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:45 pm

Very true! Expected the single lever for front bucket, sort of made me wonder why 3! Its still an awesome looking machine, even after all these years. Those front buckets were cavernous! (With those buckets I would assume less chance of spilling the contents all over the bonnet when raising it up high too, one of the first things I was warned about when loading MOT with a 3CIII...)

danny g

Post #5 by danny g » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:48 pm

hi, fantastic resto, im just starting a resto on a 3d11 and was wondering what was the colour you have painted yours, it looks a little darker than most but looks awsome, can you recall the paint name? thanks dan

Topic author
newjcb123uk

Post #6 by newjcb123uk » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:00 am

danny g wrote:hi, fantastic resto, im just starting a resto on a 3d11 and was wondering what was the colour you have painted yours, it looks a little darker than most but looks awsome, can you recall the paint name? thanks dan

Hi Dan - because the Digger was for sale and not keeps I choose "new JCB Yellow" It's a nice deep warm yellow and you don't have to apply as many coats as old or lemon JCB yellow. It's simply called "new JCB Yellow" from Spencer Coatings.

Look what crawled into my yard the other day :doh: Glutton for punishment ea?

(lets see some pics of your 3D Dan :D )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #7 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:13 pm

Lovely job on the first one Chris :thumbs_up: but looks like you've got your work cut out with the second one. :)

Jeremy

Topic author
newjcb123uk

Post #8 by newjcb123uk » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:59 am

Jeremy Rowland wrote:Lovely job on the first one Chris :thumbs_up: but looks like you've got your work cut out with the second one. :)

Jeremy

Ta Jeremy - might be lucky enough to get her away as she sits - got a couple of sniffers that just want a cheap wee digger - fingers crossed ;)

MrF
Flag: France

Post #9 by MrF » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:37 am

newjcb123uk wrote:as per usual the cab needed major surgery - the main let-down of these classic red, white and yellow beauties. :D

Lovely, another question, when you restore the cab's do you know of anyone who makes "repair" panels for them, or just fold up new sections on a box pan folder or the like and let them in?
I dont have a folder at the moment, but only have to replace the lowermost edge and Id have guessed this is universal so it would be possible for someone to knock the lowermost profile up as repair section like is common in the car world and just weld these in as needed to restore the original. Or maybe the market for jcb 3ciii cab spares is just too small to support it... Be handy if someone did, Ive been putting this job off for a few months so far :)

Return to “Projects”