CATERPILLAR 933G

Are you working on a certain project? Renovating an old machine?
Tell us about it here and show us the progress.

Topic author
martyn williams

CATERPILLAR 933G

Post #1 by martyn williams » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:59 pm

Ihave removed the troublesome mag. from the machine and has been sent away for remagnetizing as I have changed all the components.
I had worked on this very machine over 20 years ago and when it came up for sale in 2003 I purchased it from well known Devon plant man Billy Butt.It is in very good condition,the 4 cyl Cat turbocharged engine sounds great when worked
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shovelman

Re: CATERPILLAR 933G

Post #2 by Shovelman » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:58 am

Hi Martyn,

You have a nice collection of crawlers! I really wish I had the space, time, and money to have one.

All the best,

John

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #3 by martyn williams » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:54 pm

Thanks, I have removed the mag off the 933g for servicing,when that is done I will prep the machine for a respray next spring.The BTD6 in the picture is getting a rebuild.

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #4 by martyn williams » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:14 pm

Got my magneto back today,got a good spark now.Got a belt off it and the wife heard some naughty words.

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #5 by martyn williams » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:10 pm

Been ordering parts ready for the final stage of the 933 restoration.Got Caterpilar yellow paint on order from Fenland tractors.Will be doing the respray next year in time for the rally season.

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #6 by martyn williams » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:10 pm

Now my foot is getting better, been getting things ready to complete the 993 restoration
The machine has been fully serviced,filters oil etc.The lighting will be sorted out,the magneto has been serviced and ready to fit.
The machine tinwork will be removed,sand blasted and primed.The cab area was cleaned up last year so will not take long.I need to repair the pull start,but this machine is also fitted with an electric start donkey.All the spraying will be done next Springtime.

Note if anyone can get hold of reasonably priced work lights please contact me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
martyn williams

Re: CATERPILLAR 933G HISTORY OF MACHINE

Post #7 by martyn williams » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:01 am

The history of this machine is that it was one of a batch of five 933gs that were delevered from the US to Bowmakers in 1967, they ended up in the westcountry.My machine went straight to a plant hire firm in Plymouth Devon,then a few years later to Beacon Plant Hire Exeter.I worked for this firm for 6 years. This machine was used on a landfill site operated by Beacon Plant,in the early 1980s it was replaced by a MF300.The 933 ended up at W F Butt near Tiverton and was used on contracts in the area.I saw the machine advertised for sale in Classic Plant mag.The prefix to the phone number was familier as I have relatives in the area.When I visited my inlaws I arranged a viewing of this machine,found out it was the old Beacon Plant machine.I wanted it but the donkey engine would not start.After a couple of hours we got it going and the deal was done.
It was transported to Wales in November 2003.I have taken it to a few local rallies.
It has a 60 horsepower turbocharged engine and weighs 8 ton.

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #8 by martyn williams » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:42 am

REPAIRS REQUIRED
I replaced the battery cover as this was missing also the rear window because it was smashed. The window replacement gave me a laugh.I contacted a local firm who said they could do the job"no problem" they turned up and had 3 attempts at fitting a new window.It was like watching the chuckle brothers at work.They gave up after one of them cut his hand and left blood all over the machine.Found a proper firm after some searching,they did it in 30 minutes.
The steering brakes needed to be relined.I asked Finning if they would let me use their workshop to carry out this work.They agreed.I transported the Cat to their depot and done the job over a couple of days.Fiddley job but went well,the anchor pins were very tight,I made up a slide hammer and that worked a treat. One of their apprentices gave me a hand,I think he prefered working on the newer machines.
The magneto has proved tempremental so I have renewed and serviced nearly all the components.It had to be sent away for remagnetizing.

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #9 by martyn williams » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:25 pm

I have some pictures of the 933 on its trip from Devon but they will have to be scanned same applies to the B100 when it came from Oxford.
The 933 was kept in a village about 6 miles from Tiverton in Devon.The low loader I used had no chance of getting to the yard.We overcome this problem by transporting the machine on a trailer pulled by a County tractor.I left South Wales at 0630 on a damp Saturday morning and headed for Tiverton 109 miles from my home.When I reached Taunton I telephoned Bill Butt, the previous owner who had already loaded the 933 on the trailor at his yard.Everything went to plan.Our low loader arrived in Tiverton at 0930 and 15 minutes later the tractor and trailor with the 933 on board arrived and lined up with the rear of the lowloader.We loaded up the 933 in notime.After some pictures were taken of us all.I headed back to Wales.By 1230 the machine was unloaded and in my Garden.
As I said I will post pictures.
The B100 move from Oxford proved much more eventfull.Will post pictures on that move shortly.

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #10 by martyn williams » Fri May 02, 2008 10:28 pm

Will be starting on the 933G restoration in the next few weeks.Its been hard to track down an exhaust for it.I have arranged for one to be made,there will be a slight delay as the guy who is making it has chopped off his finger.He said the exhaust will be ready by next week.Tough guys these plant boys 8-)

Return to “Projects”