Caterpillar D4

Are you working on a certain project? Renovating an old machine?
Tell us about it here and show us the progress.

jcb4cx
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Caterpillar D4

Post #81 by jcb4cx » Mon May 03, 2010 6:41 pm

adamec140 wrote:Hi Martyn, been following your project with interest! Just thought id stick my nose in with a picture of my little 'love'. Bit concerned about the threaded track adjuster on one side, seems almost seized, have you had any trouble with yours?
026.jpg

this is the adjuster that has been lathed down ,you can see the threaded boss welded on the front ,it has been drilled and a grease nipple put in
thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
every village has one , is yours missing you

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #82 by martyn williams » Thu May 06, 2010 12:41 pm

Looks interesting.The threads on my D4 are very good.Will protect them with Denso tape. Will be putting the D4 up on blocks in the next few days,getting close to finnishing it now.
Weather changed again.Too wet :dizzy:
Martyn

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #83 by martyn williams » Thu May 06, 2010 5:57 pm

Nearly there now,just need Mr sunshine to come out

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #84 by martyn williams » Wed May 19, 2010 12:24 pm

D4 progressing well,just needs a minor hydraulic leak sorted and finnish off the paint on the underside.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #85 by martyn williams » Fri May 28, 2010 11:42 am

Doing some light finnishing touches to the D4 now as I am under doctors orders to take it easy.Never been one to take it easy :lol:
Been getting a lot of help from the Seabees in the USA regarding information and some photos from them.Will post some of their photos on CMN soon.
The stencils that I had made up by a firm in the midlands are well produced and not too expensive.
Martyn

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #86 by martyn williams » Sun May 30, 2010 11:42 pm

Putting the final touch to the D4 put it up on blocks to finnish of underframe.

bruce oz

Post #87 by bruce oz » Mon May 31, 2010 3:14 am

hello Martyn,the d4 looks great ,you should be proud of the work you have done on her ,like the weed pad she sits on to ,bruce oz

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #88 by martyn williams » Mon May 31, 2010 1:28 pm

Hello Bruce
This machine was hard to rub down due to its construction.I took it back to bare metal using a combination of Nitromorse and a wire brush attachment on my grinder.There is still bits to do but that is mainly touch up work.Just wish I had a proper workshop to carry out the restorations.I have just refitted the Mag to my D2 and started up the old girl.Just waiting to get my fitness back and then can get to work on the TD6.Got plenty of time to do that machine,would loke to take it ploughing at the end of the year.
Thanks
Martyn

bruce oz

Post #89 by bruce oz » Mon May 31, 2010 11:50 pm

hello Martyn ,i found the knot brush on the grinder worked good to clean all the rust off ,when i cleaned my last 22 up i went though a few grinders and brushes ,then washed off with thinners ,""only do this in a open shed "" , .
yes a good shed helps but not always possible ,money or room to have one .
keep up the good work ,bruce oz

taurus MK1
Flag: Great Britain

Post #90 by taurus MK1 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:34 pm

:wave: Hi Martyn, donkey engine removed, some nice easy to get at nuts to release it!!!!!!!!!! anyway removed the donkey because lacking on compression and to check frost damage she has been repaired a couple of times as you can see from the photos. Have her on the workshop floor full of neat antifreeze to see if she is going to leak. Noticed after pouring some oil down the bores that when the drain taps are open the oil is being blown out, guessing we have head gasket problems, and im also guessing the valves will need doing, big job or not too bad? Spark wise there is something. Have got the chance of another motor but of course that could be the same. Would like to keep the org.if poss.

Cheers John :rockon:

Return to “Projects”