How Do I Stay Logged In?

How can we improve CMN? Please post your suggestions here!
Do you have problems with the site? Post here!
Do you have problems with the registration or problems to log in? Contact us at webmaster (at) classicmachinery.net

Also check out our How-To!

Topic author
mikefoxo
Flag: Ireland

How Do I Stay Logged In?

Post #1 by mikefoxo » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:32 pm

Every time I look up the website (daily) I have to log in. Is there a way I can stay logged in. I keep ticking the "Log me in automatically" button but to no avail :x

TrevorJ
Flag: Australia

Re: How Do I Stay Logged In?

Post #2 by TrevorJ » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:57 am

Assuming that the box works for everyone else, and it "remembers" via cookies, it sounds like your browser is not storing the cookies for later use.

It depends how your browser deals with cookies set by the browser settings ... if it has such refinement other than "enable cookies". For example, even older versions of Firefox could be set to keep them until the firefox browser was closed.

There is an absolute last resort, sometimes suggested by a few, the slash and burn approach to just delete all of the browser's cookies and start again. :shock: A good browser should list the cookies used in the browser and let a user select which they would like to modify or remove. If nothing works and settings are correct, you could just delete all cookies from the classicmachinerynetwork group of cookies.

Topic author
mikefoxo
Flag: Ireland

Post #3 by mikefoxo » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:11 pm

I don't know if I'll take that dramatic a step just yet! I'm using Firefox and I'll have another fiddle around with it. I do remember it asking me if I wanted it to save my password but I must have said no. Bit of a mistake :doh:

TrevorJ
Flag: Australia

Post #4 by TrevorJ » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:27 am

Have a good look at options for keeping cookies. My old version of firefox this is in the tools --> options.

Just make sure it's set to keep cookies until they expire.

Also check to make sure java script is enabled.

Storing passwords on the computer isn't a good thing IMO, as most people don't use radically different patterns for their passwords and thus makes it too easy, if one is unfortunate enough to have their computer hacked, to have their preference of passwords profiled to help enable a hacker access to more sensitive sites a person might have accounts with. (Maybe firefox encrypts passwords) Even though a 3 letter (alpha only) password has more than 17500 different combinations, if a hacker knew you only used real words then it reduces the list of combinations significantly.

http://www.totallystupid.com/?what=3
http://www.scrabblefinder.com/3-letter-words/

Return to “Support and Suggestions”