How is the manual upload process supposed to work?

How can we improve CMN? Please post your suggestions here!
Do you have problems with the site? Post here!
Do you have problems with the registration or problems to log in? Contact us at webmaster (at) classicmachinery.net

Also check out our How-To!

Topic author
MrF
Flag: France

How is the manual upload process supposed to work?

Post #1 by MrF » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:05 pm

The first manual I uploaded, it failed to upload so I sent holgar a link to the archive for the dpa pump manual and uploaded it somewhere else first, but I have two manuals for the massey harris pony tractors and a wiring diagram etc I want to upload for another member, and when I tried to upload them direct, I get the error "you are not allowed to do this" at the final step after waiting ages for the upload to go up.
Is this the correct process and they're awaiting moderation? if so could someone change the error message to reflect this, or have they genuinely not uploaded and there's something gone wrong. Is there a incoming manuals folder somewhere I should be putting them into instead?

Of course I can upload them elsewhere and send the link like last time, but maybe its a good time to either clear up my misunderstanding of how the process works or spots a hole in the process that might put others off from contributing.
I think a few words round what is the "official" process to get a manual on there might help the more hard of thinking amongst us (like me!.)

Holger
Site Admin
Flag: Sweden

Re: How is the manual upload process supposed to work?

Post #2 by Holger » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:19 pm

Hi Phil,

sorry to hear about the problem.
I think the problem is easy: the files might be to large. A server only can handle a certain amount of MB before it runs into a timeout or similar.

How large are the files?

There are two processes possible.
1) If the file does not exceed lets say 5-8MB you can upload them directly in the fitting category in downloads. Then they will be visible only to admins. I will check the files, add watermark and password-protection (against removing the watermark). Then I will approve the file and it will be visible and downloadable to all members.

2) If the file is to large, it has to be transferred to me by email, FTP or yousendit.com
I will then add the watermark and the password-protection and upload the file to the server and it will be visible and downloadable to all members.
Some resources:
How-To

Topic author
MrF

Post #3 by MrF » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:30 pm

I just give the wiring diagram a try as that was small being a png or a jpg scan of a page and about 37k, and it works fine, so you should have that there to moderate now.

For the others, I thought they were within the limits, but checked and 14mb and 18mb, so Ill upload them to my webspace and send you the links again, it probably is time out like you say.

Holger
Site Admin
Flag: Sweden

Post #4 by Holger » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:34 pm

14MB and 18Mb is far too much.
I will happily assist you in uploading the files, just send me the links.

Thank you!
Some resources:
How-To

Topic author
MrF

Post #5 by MrF » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:11 pm

Links sent , thanks!

Return to “Support and Suggestions”