Forum layout

How can we improve CMN? Please post your suggestions here!
Do you have problems with the site? Post here!
Do you have problems with the registration or problems to log in? Contact us at webmaster (at) classicmachinery.net

Also check out our How-To!

Topic author
essexpete

Forum layout

Post #1 by essexpete » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:10 am

Is there a facility for viewing recent or active posts?

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Forum layout

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:57 am

essexpete wrote:Is there a facility for viewing recent or active posts?

Hi Pete; yes mate look at the top left of the page and place your mouse cursor over the 'Quick links' icon and you will see a drop down menu, its on there. :thumbup:

Jeremy

TrevorJ
Flag: Australia

Post #3 by TrevorJ » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:53 pm

HI

I am missing the "FIRST unread post" feature, it is apparently absent, ...I choose unread posts, but get the "thread" but no placement in it. That's ok if the thread is one or two pages, but ...

When I instead try for new posts, only the most recent one came up ... but that may have been due today to the difficulty of loging on for a start ... yeah I did have to delete the forum cookies.

Also note the date members joined is no longer displayed in my browser, [yeah it's an old one so it may be working in others] which I find is good to know if one is dealing with someone who's just arrived and lost, or someone who's not looked in other areas of the forum before. ;)

Edit, OK from the new post page, this thread came up. Clicked on it, and placed not at the first new post, but the top of this thread ... will be interesting to know if this is a browser issue or a general coding issue with everyone.

Another edit -- ok the logout button or link is not easy to find, again it could be the browser I use. Anyhow, I do know most broswers will display the links on a page and can copy the "log out" link but ...

Martyn Henley
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by Martyn Henley » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:05 pm

have you tried this button Trevor ? click on Quick links

Screenshot_3.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TrevorJ
Flag: Australia

Post #5 by TrevorJ » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:37 am

HI Martyn thanks, but the answer is obviously YES -- as it is the only place that displays any type of links that refers to the database search function of unread posts.

Ie the quick links -- the first five on the drop down menu (for me anyway) :-

Your posts

New posts - (as one would expect, displays THREADS that members have posted in that have happened since last log in time . With my browser, one is not taken to the first post but merely pointed to a thread with place to the right indicating how many pages are in it. So if one can't remember if the last time visited it was page 35 or 37 it's a bit cumbersome.

Unread posts - (which is about the same, [nevermind] today (unlike last night) it works as one expects but I suspect handy if one accidentally closes the "new posts" tab --- as unlike the last phpbb version which would keep the results alive for the session login, now if the multiple threads begin to load up and something happens before they do and the "new posts" search page is accidentally closed, one has no idea what new threads are, so they need to use the "active posts" link to get the latest ones. ) [/nevermind] )

Unanswered posts - (a list of threads that no one has replied too for one reason or another)

Active posts - (a list of threads ongoing.)

OK.

However goto "first unread post" ... I'm missing it, the last phpbb version did this nicely and saved a lot of time.

Logout issue. Edit: woks fine in old firefox browser (surprised and shocked) it is actually an old Opera browser issue -- the user panel drop down does not appear on the right hand side under the user name with my browser, it pops up on the left hand side almost off screen. Logout button looking at the page source might be there but off screen ... but all the same, a box or area down the very bottom of the index page with all the physical links would be handy for browsers that are having issues with drop down menus, as dare I say those who still use text browsers like lynx.

I have yet to have a look to see how much improved the site is with android (mobile phone) browsers like mini opera.

diggerjones

Post #6 by diggerjones » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:54 am

Just to put my input in, I would think most folks look in and press new posts first. Having to look for this button puts me off.
Thanks

Holger
Site Admin
Flag: Sweden

Post #7 by Holger » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:15 am

Thank you for your feedback all!
As usual with SW upgrades some old (very old) browser are not supported anymore. It is not possible to cover all issues.

TrevorJ wrote:However goto "first unread post" ... I'm missing it, the last phpbb version did this nicely and saved a lot of time.

The link to first unread is there
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Some resources:
How-To

Holger
Site Admin

Post #8 by Holger » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:24 am

I have started to add some How-tos: viewforum.php?f=76
Some resources:
How-To

Neversweat

Post #9 by Neversweat » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:36 pm

Uploads pics really quick :thumbup:

Holger
Site Admin

Post #10 by Holger » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:46 pm

:thumbup:
Did you try the drag&drop or di you use "Upload Pic"?
Some resources:
How-To

Return to “Support and Suggestions”