Captcha not working

How can we improve CMN? Please post your suggestions here!
Do you have problems with the site? Post here!
Do you have problems with the registration or problems to log in? Contact us at webmaster (at) classicmachinery.net

Also check out our How-To!

Topic author
TrevorJ
Flag: Australia

Captcha not working

Post #1 by TrevorJ » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:28 pm

Today I found that my older Opera browser won't load the captcha anymore. I've played with various settings in case various setting had blocked the google app from doing it's thing.

It will work in a clunky little browser I don't like using, so it's nothing in the host file.

Anyone aware of any changes here or with the google captcha restricting certain browsers?

Thanks in advance.

Update:
OK its not machine related, the second computer with older Opera didn't like it either. I cleaned all the cookies related to google and this forum, but still no luck.

I then isolated the link and it appears google is just censoring older equipment though "script," thus censoring the older people and less fortunate people who can't afford new systems, off of various sites from sending feedback. There are plenty of people who just don't want to or can't afford to move to touch screens and the ilk that comes with new operating systems.

It's not the first time I've encountered this, its deliberate on google's part - as it keeps people who don't have the latest mod cons from offering comments and the like, unless they move to some clunky browser ... maybe chrome or something.

www.google.com/recaptcha/api/challenge?k=6LcYcQsAAAAAAHTph7gTOFcga4IltayZEJfVxD2H

-> error.

Oh well, as I'm bound to strike it more and more at other sites as well, rather than moving to a new browser as this one does my mail and everything else along with good download handling, I guess I'll be looking for downloader that can handle forums as well as download sites. (They are said to be able to handle captchas automatically)

Holger
Site Admin
Flag: Sweden

Re: Captcha not working

Post #2 by Holger » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:19 am

Hello Trevor,

we have not changed the forum-code, but we moved to a faster high-end server with new/updated PHP- and mysql-environment.
I am only using Chrome and FF, I am not aware of those problems.
Are you having this problem in the download-section?
Some resources:
How-To

Topic author
TrevorJ

Post #3 by TrevorJ » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:58 pm

Sorry I would have replied earlier but I haven't been online.

Yes, it's the captcha for downloading. Neither my old firefox or opera work. Opera has the better download manager, and can sometimes coax a bad connection along.

I haven't tried to download again in firefox since running an intense cleanup, so ... but no change in opera but I will test it later.

I understand you haven't changed the code ... but I believe google HAS. I'm pretty sure google runs a number of different captcha api for various sites.

The issue "appears" to be the captcha image ... the browser not redirecting to display it.

Edit: - ok working for my old firefox now, just not my old opera.

Topic author
TrevorJ

Post #4 by TrevorJ » Wed May 21, 2014 3:54 pm

:thumbup: I don't know if you tweaked any settings on your end Holger, or if google fixed things, but I can download again in my old opera browser.

My usual net computer has been modified by a couple of installs in the last few days, so tomorrow I'll confirm, and see if my other unmodified version will again download.

Edit: An update, the old girl which is in exactly the same configuration when it was last not working, now works. Evidently the problem has been fixed by google or at the server end.

Return to “Support and Suggestions”