New member needs help

Feel free to introduce yourself here.
Tell us where you are from and how you found CMN!

Topic author
bubble

New member needs help

Post #1 by bubble » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Hi, I wonder if anybody can help us, we are new here and we have purchased a machine but do not know what to call it or know what section it should go in. We have a winget mechanical moke, it has a removable flat bed and at some time it had a skip/dumper on the back as well it has an JAP engine on the front similar to a wrigley/lister auto truck. We have tried to find out any information about this vehicle but have had no luck and have been told you are very helpful on this site, I am Gary and I live in Suffolk. I have many other vehicles and I am hoping to restore this one, that's for reading this post. Hope somebody can help

BulldozerD11

Re: New member needs help

Post #2 by BulldozerD11 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:43 pm

Welcome to CMN Gary :wave:

bubble wrote:Hi, I wonder if anybody can help us, we are new here and we have purchased a machine but do not know what to call it or know what section it should go in. We have a winget mechanical moke, it has a removable flat bed and at some time it had a skip/dumper on the back as well it has an JAP engine on the front similar to a wrigley/lister auto truck. We have tried to find out any information about this vehicle but have had no luck and have been told you are very helpful on this site, I am Gary and I live in Suffolk. I have many other vehicles and I am hoping to restore this one, that's for reading this post. Hope somebody can help

Sounds an interesting machine dont worry too much about which thread (people on here dont get too stressed about which thread or when discussions go off topic unlike some forums on other subjects) A lot of things posted could go in several topic anyway.

As its a restoration project it could go in the Projects section of Technical discusions or in Dumpers under Earthmoving machinery as its a duper derivative or there is a Misc compact equipment/attachments thread under the Compact equipment section. (so take your pick)

Perhaps there should be a Works truck/ Motor cart section added for such equipment.(Admins ?)

I cannot recall a Winget built Motor cart/works truck but others may know about them (a photo may help people id it) ;) There used to be some small dumpers / powered barrows with removable skips for concrete work but i cannot remember the make now.

Dave
Interested in Tractors, Plant, Heavy Haulage or Steam visit http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Tractor_%26_Construction_Plant_Wiki
Help document every manufacturer model build, and record every machine in preservation, clubs and events etc.

XSFrank

Post #3 by XSFrank » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:41 pm

bubble wrote:Hi, I wonder if anybody can help us, we are new here and we have purchased a machine but do not know what to call it or know what section it should go in. We have a winget mechanical moke, it has a removable flat bed and at some time it had a skip/dumper on the back as well it has an JAP engine on the front similar to a wrigley/lister auto truck. We have tried to find out any information about this vehicle but have had no luck and have been told you are very helpful on this site, I am Gary and I live in Suffolk. I have many other vehicles and I am hoping to restore this one, that's for reading this post. Hope somebody can help

Hi everyone and Happy new Year,

I’m new to this site and have come across it whilst searching for some info on a Winget Autotruck I recently bought.

It turns out the previous owner also googled it and started this thread. I bought the truck of Gary, as he had to sell it due to too many projects and him being in the middle of moving home.
Really nice guy and we had a good chat about all the weird and wonderful things we like to collect :)

So attached are a few pictures of the truck as I picked it up and I’d be grateful for any information about it. What year they were made, model/type and whether it would have been road registered.
Gary's just found the manual to go with it so I should get that soon..

My plan is to restore it and use it at Santa Pod and Avon Park as a pit truck when my mates and I take our Drag Beetles to the track. To tow the cars, haul tyres etc.
It’s sat in my workshop now and I’ll strip it down tonight. I got a couple of small metal repairs to do and then the frame and most parts will go to be shot blasted and powder coated.
I will do it in Heritage/Leaf Green (RAL6002) which seems a close colour to the original.
The pick up bed will be new stained timber boards.

The engine shouldn’t pose to much of a problem either, the main work is sorting out the controls.
How does the engine get started? It looks like the starter is missing, see red arrow in picture 4.
I’ll post a few more close up pictures soon.

I also realise the tank is not original, any pictures of a proper one would be great, maybe someone got one, even a rusty one to take the measurements from for a repo. Tank straps shouldn’t be a problem.
The air filter is totally rusted out, I’ll look for a replacement or maybe a nice chrome filter of a triple Stromberg 97 carb set up ;)

Cheers Frank
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #4 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:33 pm

Hi Frank and welcome to the site :wave: Looking at the photo's of your motorized truck I would hazard a guess that you may find more info on a railway oriented forum because this looks like the sort of truck that may have once been used in a railway yard?
Hope this guess is in the right direction unless anyother CMN members can offer you more information? :think:

Jeremy

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #5 by FOWLER MAN » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:35 pm

Hi Frank,
I remember seeing these when dad took me to plant show circa 1950.
They did indeed have a tipping skip and were marketed as a "Winget Power Barrow". I think the load carying end of yours may have been moddified a little.
Sadly I can,t remember more.
Fred

XSFrank

Post #6 by XSFrank » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:26 pm

I started the strip down last night and found out a little more.
It is called “The Mechanical Moke” and has a JAP 4/3 engine.
The missing part I thought was the starter is actually the magneto :doh:
Wonder how much this is to replace?
Also the valve cover plate is missing, but I can make it if needed.

There’s quite a bit of rust in the wheels, but it just seems all original parts are on it. Things came apart really easy.
Check out the nice brass plate which was on the air filter top 8-)

Also found another thread on the vintage machinery club forum with a few pictures.
http://www.tractorbox.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6483&PD=0

Frank
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

XSFrank

Post #7 by XSFrank » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:28 pm

I started the strip down last night and found out a little more.
It is called “The Mechanical Moke” and has a JAP 4/3 engine.
The missing part I thought was the starter is actually the magneto :doh:
Wonder how much this is to replace?
Also the valve cover plate is missing, but I can make it if needed.

There’s quite a bit of rust in the wheels, but it just seems all original parts are on it. Things came apart really easy.
Check out the nice brass plate which was on the air filter top 8-)

Also found another thread on the vintage machinery club forum with a few pictures.
http://www.tractorbox.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6483&PD=0

Frank

Return to “Member Introductions”