Hello from Nova Scotia Canada

Feel free to introduce yourself here.
Tell us where you are from and how you found CMN!

Topic author
robtrout5
Flag: Canada

Hello from Nova Scotia Canada

Post #1 by robtrout5 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:44 pm

Hi All

Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Rob and i recently joined the forum after searching for a manual for my newly acquired JCB backhoe.

Its a 1983 3x 1400 4wd machine that had one owner in northern New Brunswick, Canada and that was the Canadian Coast Guard. Its not in bad shape for its age but more about that in another post.

I am technical and mechanical inclined but have never ever operated a machine of this nature. Not even been around them.

I was born in South Africa and 20 odd years ago moved to Canada for business and personal reasons. Originally i settled in Ontario but i have always life long wanted to farm. So long story short in 2019 i purchased 32 acres of farmland and a home in Nova Scotia and my wife and i moved here. Oh and i am 64 years old and finding memory to be a real issue hampering what i do.

Last year we had two significant snow storms that required our neighbor who has a case backhoe come by and clear our long curved driveway. One of the storms was an ice pellet storm, which essentially resulted in a 12 inch block of ice across the whole driveway. I dont fear too many things but ICE that's another story. It terrifies me after having taken a tumble on a sheet of ice from a snow melt /freeze on my way to post box in 2019.

So i began my search for a machine that i could use to clear the snow but also make use of around the property.

I have a small Kubota B6200 which i have done significant repairs to as well as the belly mower deck that i use to tame the grass fields. Still need to purchase a real tractor that can pull some substantial attachments as i want to plant a few crops in time to come.

When it comes to equipment of any kind if i can get my hands on a manual and exploded views then i have no problem with dealing with the repairs.
I have tried to do most of my own repairs for vehicles but dont have a hoist and getting down under them is now getting stale. Problem i have is finding a mechanic that i can trust to do the job right not half ass.

At present we grow microgreens and distribute them directly to grocery stores in Nova Scotia each week.

So part of the decision to buy the backhoe was to ensure i could get in and get out the driveway with my truck and small trailer i use as a cooler trailer to transport our product to the stores.

Backhoe has very low hours for a machine of this age, but is rather crusty in places given the years and our winter climate and my guess is salt.

I will make a backhoe specific post and tell you all about the machine to the extent i know and what i plan to fix and how.

Given winter is already upon us here I wont be doing much to it at present except get it running and keep it running, but come spring it will be fully serviced from front to back.

I look forward to being on the forum more often and getting to know some of you through the forum interaction. Thanks to whoever it was that setup this space and loaded up all the manuals. :wave:

gecko.cx
Flag: Australia

Re: Hello from Nova Scotia Canada

Post #2 by gecko.cx » Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:34 pm

Welcome to the forum, sounds like you'll fit right in.

essexpete

Post #3 by essexpete » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:35 pm

Welcome and a very interesting intro.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #4 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:35 pm

Hi Rob and welcome :wave: there are plenty of knowledgeable people on here when it comes to classic construction kit. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Return to “Member Introductions”