I need your feedback!

Site announcements

rayman

Re: I need your feedback!

Post #11 by rayman » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:43 am

excellent site, easy to use and post pics, fast too. I only have the public library computers and download time is good. Maybe an _off topic_ thread for anything goes (within reason of coarse) regards rayman

Topic author
Holger
Site Admin
Flag: Sweden

Post #12 by Holger » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:55 am

rayman wrote:Maybe an _off topic_ thread for anything goes (within reason of coarse) regards rayman

Ok, the forum Chit Chat is "off topic", I will rename the forum into "Off Topic" I think!

Priestman wrote:How about making it easier to get pics on here!!!!!

Easier?? :shock:

Robban_C wrote:I have one more wish:
We have a very good atmosphere here on CMN. No flame-outs or anything else that can destroy this nice place. Let´s keep it this way!
There might be quarrels here as in real life but let´s all keep flames as small as possible by mediating as soon as possible. The damage is always smaller if a quarrel is stopped early before to much feelings are hurt.

We "only" have 1.200 posts in here yet.
When closing in to 26.000 posts it will be more and more to do, we will need more and more moderators and it will be more and more difficult to kepp the good atmosphere ... even if we all try to! Lets try and lets work on this together!
I will not let the same things happen here as on Maskinisten.

One general thing: this software (phpBB3) still is Release Candidate.
As soon as the software is FINAL I will begin to "code in the code" ...

I have one request: please do not use imageshack or other image-hosting-services. The images will not last forever on those servers! And in a few months we will begin to experience red crosses for missing pictures.
Some resources:
How-To

Topic author
Holger
Site Admin

Post #13 by Holger » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:59 am

Nick Drew wrote:The site is great as it is :D I think maybe a downloads section would be of interest like you have at Maskinisten.

I personally would also like to see somekind of graphic of a Classic machine incorporated into the banner, any ideas??

Oh and maybe a chatroom facility at some point :thumbs_up:

Nick

Hi Nick,

chat and downloads will be installed as soon as the software gets FINAL. :thumbs_up:
Please see the classifieds, should I incorporate this kind of graphic of machines maybe?

I am a little bit depending on the members for graphics!
Anybody having a good idea or is anybody here good in graphic design???

/H
Some resources:
How-To

Robban_C

Post #14 by Robban_C » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:32 pm

Holger wrote:... I will not let the same things happen here as on Maskinisten. ...

Just a comment to avoid misunderstanding:
I wasn´t thinking that much of Maskinisten but I have seen quarrels on other sites. Quarrels that hasn´t been moderated in any way and they have sometimes almost ended in World War III.
Everyone must remember that the written word is stronger than the spoken word, especially if the written word is spread world wide among friends and strangers.
So let´s all think about what we write AND read. Quarrels can start from a simple misunderstanding. It´s much better to ask what was meant than letting it escalate into a real quarrel. Maybe it wasn´t meant the way that it looked.
A beginning quarrel can sometimes be stopped before it gets serious by anyone, not just the moderators.

Edit: The quotation was wrong. My bad. Fixed it! :thumbs_up:
Last edited by Robban_C on Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Volvo EC45 PRO -06
Volvo EC35 -01
MB-Trac 800 turbo
Bigab 10-14 hook lift trailer
MF 3165, Poor Ferguson

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/RobbanxC

Nick Drew

Post #15 by Nick Drew » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:41 pm

Hi Holger,

Perhaps our Member Swishy could provide a good graphic for the start page Banner??

I know he is very good at these kind of things :thumbs_up:

Over to you Swishy :lol:

Nick.

Lars-Gunnar

Post #16 by Lars-Gunnar » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:27 am

The site is execellent! :thumbs_up: Maybe we chould have a limit for the picture. A picture chould not be wider than the forum. Othervice we have to read more to the right which not is so good.

Lars-Gunnar :)
AMD computers and Volvo trucks is best

Robban_C

Post #17 by Robban_C » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:12 am

LarsGunnar, the problem here is that the actual width of the forum depends on what resolution you have on your screen. The forum is as wide as the screen.
Higher resolution means that a bigger pic will fit "inside" the forum. Lower resoution (or of course a wider pic) means that the pic will "push" the forum outisde the screen.
Differen viewers have different screens and resolution.

My suggestions is one of the following:
1. Limit the physical width of the pics. This will help for some of us but not for all. And it will mean trouble for those that can´t change the size of their pics.
2. Limit the shown width of the pics. This means that the pics might be shown smaller than they actually are by setting their shown size at runtime in the webpage that are sent to the browser. A very nice function but it means that the webserver (or actually phpbb) must check the size of each picture before sending the webpage to the browser. Note that there can be a difference between physical size and shown size.
3. The webserver makes the pics the appropriate size. Will still not help for everyone but it prevents the extra work with changing the size. And it means that Holger have to find some kind of plug-in with this function for the webserver unless phpbb already has it.
4. The side shows thumbnails and when you click on the you get the full size pic, either in the same or in a new window. This also needs a plug-in to make the thumbnails unless you should download the full size pic into memory and show it in thumbnail size.

There are probably more ways to solve this problem and I´m sure that Holger will find a good way.
Volvo EC45 PRO -06
Volvo EC35 -01
MB-Trac 800 turbo
Bigab 10-14 hook lift trailer
MF 3165, Poor Ferguson

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/RobbanxC

Topic author
Holger
Site Admin

Post #18 by Holger » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:38 am

As soon as the software is final I will implement such a small snippet of code as on Maskinisten which resizes the image automatically to the width of the window, when clicking on it it expands.
Some resources:
How-To

Shovelman

Post #19 by Shovelman » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:57 am

Hello Holger and everyone else,

Before going any further;

THANK YOU HOLGER!

I wholeheartedly agree with everyone in that this is a great site!

Robban_C writes a perfect description about the atmosphere here. As the membership grows; I really hope that the integrity of the sight will not be compromised. The internet is a wonderful thing, but everyone must remember that it is "one dimensional". Everyone can read the words that are there, but there are no facial expressions or tone of voice to go with it. Everyone must realize, take into consideration, and accept this fact. I hope some of you may remember the childhood saying "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never injure me"? I think Nick will be a great moderator and hope that he has few issues to deal with.

Regarding the sight and my opinions and suggestions; please put the classifieds in the general directory on the main page? I would hope for categories such as for sale and searching for: real equipment, parts, scale models and toys, service and parts manuals, sales literature, etc.

With regard to photo hosting sights; if my photos should disappear from Imageshack, I have them saved on hard drive and CD. It was very time-consuming (for me at least) to experiment with re-sizing images so I could load them directly to the website. Imageshack is free and all I have to do is select the resizing of any image I host to the setting: 800x600 DPI (15" monitor). Here is an example:

Please let me know if there is any kind of problem with this size and type of image?

Imageshack states:

"How long will my uploaded files be available? Your files will only be deleted if they do not adhere to our Terms of Service. If you are registered, your files will be available forever. If you are not registered, any file that you upload will continue to be available if it is accessed by anyone at least once per year".

As the weather gets colder and and the days get shorter, I hope to be able to participate here more frequently. I will do my best to make my posts interesting and will only write statements of fact.

‘All the best,

John

Topic author
Holger
Site Admin

Post #20 by Holger » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:29 am

Hello John,

thank you for your kind words!

Yes, it is amazing how words can be misunderstood in a forum or a chat.
So, please read everything twice if in doubt.
And please use me and Nick (and other moderators in future) as contactpersons if anything is going wrong!
And please do not hasitate to use the report-function.

The statement of imageshack - ok, but you know how fast living the internet is. Next week they maybe do not provide the service anymore. Such things happen every day in the Inet.

Regarding the classifieds: I would like to use an external script for that and leave the forums untouched.
Did you see this?
http://www.classicmachinery.net/classifieds

Now, have MUCH fun here!

/Holger
Some resources:
How-To

Return to “Announcements”