Winget 3s accelerator rod / cable set up

Discuss haulers/dump trucks here

Topic author
Greengrass1
Flag: Great Britain

Winget 3s accelerator rod / cable set up

Post #1 by Greengrass1 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:21 pm

Hi all, I am new to this forum and have joined as I have taken on a Winget 3S to restore. First job was to get the Petter engine going. New filters and replacement fuel pump fitted and she now runs. My next question is how does the accelerator pedal attach to the fuel pump? The previous owners have used wire to hold it in place but I want to set it up correctly! Has any one got a photo that may help me!

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Winget 3s accelerator rod / cable set up

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:10 pm

Hi Alex, and welcome, somebody on here should be able to point you in the right direction. :thumbup:

Jeremy

mechman

Post #3 by mechman » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:40 pm

Hi greengrass1
That so called piece of wire I've seen on a few petters engines (Including my own) connects the governor arm to the pump spindle. It looks completely out of place but they were the original connection between the gov arm and the pump spindle on quite a few engines. The accelerator lever (long spring) pushes the gov arm which in turn pulls the spring type "wire" attached to the pump spindle. I changed mine but what I can remember on tick over that wire/ spring keeps the pump spindle against the adjusting nut on the gov arm.
Norm.

Topic author
Greengrass1

Post #4 by Greengrass1 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:59 am

Thanks mechman that is great information. I will go and have a tinker! I am in the process of replacing the clutch (never done one before!) I have split the bell housing but there is not enough room to be removed so just looking at my options. The metal straps that hold the gear box in place may have some give in them to allow me to slide the bell housing off? Everyday is a school day! Thanks to this platform I am learning!

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #5 by FOWLER MAN » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:37 pm

mechman wrote:Hi greengrass1
That so called piece of wire I've seen on a few petters engines (Including my own) connects the governor arm to the pump spindle. It looks completely out of place but they were the original connection between the gov arm and the pump spindle on quite a few engines. The accelerator lever (long spring) pushes the gov arm which in turn pulls the spring type "wire" attached to the pump spindle. I changed mine but what I can remember on tick over that wire/ spring keeps the pump spindle against the adjusting nut on the gov arm.
Norm.

Hi Norm,
I believe Greengrass is referring to the connection of the throttle cable /rod to the pump linkage. :?: :?:
Not the wire-like spring that keeps the pump rack in contact with the governor arm which I think you are talking about. :think:
You can see the wire he is referring to at the bottom center of the pic.
Maybe this diagram from Petter manual will help.

Just found this from Winget 3S manual.

mechman

Post #6 by mechman » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:37 pm

Good spot Fred
I didn't notice that wire rigged connection to the throttle control. was looking at the connection between the gov and throttle spindle I've only seen cable control on the static ones, that's interesting on a winget. Mine's a 4s now elec start but no cable throttle etc. wonder if it's a transplant?
Norm :thumbup:

mechman

Post #7 by mechman » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:13 am

Greengrass1
Apologise for the mix up there, looks like we ( I ) got crossed wires but looks you got an answer.
Norm.

Topic author
Greengrass1

Post #8 by Greengrass1 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:51 pm

Evening all, thanks for all your help. Those diagrams are great and hopefully will help me correct the current set up The clutch is now out so just need to source a replacement. Can’t beat a bit of tinkering!!

Topic author
Greengrass1

Post #9 by Greengrass1 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:14 pm

Evening all, I now know how to replace the wire. When I press the accelerator nothing is happening only the spring on the rod is compressed. Just checking, should the regulator arm be sprung loaded in the direction of the red arrow? I am missing something to get the pedal to operate the engine speed. Sorry if this is obvious but having never tinkered on engines before it is a steep learning curve! Thanks Greengrass1

Topic author
Greengrass1

Post #10 by Greengrass1 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:16 pm

Return to “Haulers/Dump Trucks”