Barber Greene shipping out

Discuss pavers, rollers, mills and other paving equipment here

Topic author
widget
Flag: Great Britain

Barber Greene shipping out

Post #1 by widget » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:04 pm

A new Barber Greene being shipped :thumbup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I want to rust out not wear out

Hutch

Re: Barber Greene shipping out

Post #2 by Hutch » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:45 pm

Hi Richard
Looks like a machine leaving the old Barber Greene factory in Bury St Edmunds which also made asphalt plants and was part of Benford.The screed was made by a Danish company called Partner Teknic of which I can find no imformation on the web so maybe they were bought by Barber Greene.

Topic author
widget

Post #3 by widget » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:07 pm

Hi Paul,
Yep your right, i found that great pic on the web. I dont know a great deal about Barber Greene, i used to operate one for about 18 months for a company i worked for in the late eighties, I cant remember much about it tho. It didnt leave a lasting impression on me Being a BK man :thumbup:

They must have been a great force in there day because everyone used to always refer to asphalt pavors as Barber Greenes even my mum :lol:

Anyone got any stuff on Barber Greene and maybe a few more pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hutch

Post #4 by Hutch » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:49 pm

Hi Richard
Barber Greene were always classed as the top paver in the USA even after their take over by Caterpillar,you can still have your Cat paver in green with Barber Greene decals so the brand must still have a loyal customer base.In the UK Barber Greene,s were supplied by the USA probably under the lease/lend system to build runways during WW2 with most large surfacing contractors after seeing what they could do purchasing them in peacetime and at the same time bringing about the demise of steam rollers as these rollers could not keep up with the laying speed of the paver.All Barber Greenes of this age were on steel tracks,but then came along a new company to the UK called Blaw Knox who had decided to put their paver on pnuematic tyres which offered greater flexibility,this along with a few bad design ideas like electrically operated drive clutches that were time consuming to fit new plates into caused Barber Greene to lose sales to BK eventually becoming seperate to the US operation. One thing Barber Greene and BK shared was being unable to produce a good extending screed with BK eventually paying for the rights to use Vogele,s guide system and Barber Greene fitting the Partner Tecnic screed

Topic author
widget

Post #5 by widget » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:46 pm

Hi Paul,
Been digging around the web and read quite a few interesting bits, kept me quiet for a while :D
A very interesting company which made quite a range of equipment.
-Operating controls, Barber-Greene model SA-35 finisher..jpg

Not sure what year this model would have been but its interesting to note the steering levers and feeder and screw conveyor clutch pedals :thumbup:

Topic author
widget

Post #6 by widget » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:56 pm

Can anyone tell me if this Barber greene is based on an International drive train, :think:
I am asking because of the engine covers
COLAS---Barber Greene--1950.jpg

I found this on the web and if the info provided is correct its a Barber Greene unless anyone knows different :thumbup:

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #7 by FOWLER MAN » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:13 am

widget wrote:Can anyone tell me if this Barber greene is based on an International drive train, :think:
I am asking because of the engine covers
COLAS---Barber Greene--1950.jpg

I found this on the web and if the info provided is correct its a Barber Greene unless anyone knows different :thumbup:

Thats probably an American import with the International power plant.
The ones we had on site in the late 50s / 60s had Fordson E27N TVO power units and a bit later the Perkins P6 but they retained the 27N rad.and grill.
Fred

Hutch

Post #8 by Hutch » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:26 am

Somewhere I have an operators manual for an early Barber Greene paver which is marked War Department and was saved from the skip at Tarmacs many years ago.From memory the paver was fitted with a Leroy engine also some of the early US imports had petrol/TVO engines.Over the years many makes of engine were offered including the common Ford and Perkins much the same as Blaw Knox.The latest BGP pavers (successors to Barber Greene)have a mix of Deutz,John Deere and JCB engines

Topic author
widget

Post #9 by widget » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:47 pm

Thanks for the input chaps, its all interesting stuff :thumbup:
I am quite suprised how many variants have been available over the years, do you know if you could request which engine you wanted installing or did they just install what was available at the time of manufacture?
Richard

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #10 by FOWLER MAN » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:26 am

Pic of a Barber grene with Fordson tractor engine like the ones I refered to in previous post.
Fred
5501.0156.JP_afalteren.20_1955.jpg

Return to “Paving Equipment”