Blaw Knox Pavers

Discuss pavers, rollers, mills and other paving equipment here

bograt

Re: Blaw Knox Pavers

Post #41 by bograt » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:20 am

I was trying to contact the people who manufactured them to see if they want them for their archive but have no idea how to go about it.

Holger
Site Admin
Flag: Sweden

Post #42 by Holger » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:46 pm

We could add them to our downloads. They are great!
Some resources:
How-To

70's steve
Flag: Great Britain

Post #43 by 70's steve » Mon May 02, 2011 7:04 pm

hi micheal,
great plans / drawings , this is the exact machine my father operated during the 70's up till mid 80's , do you have any pictures ? i'd also be most intersted in any film footage if any is around ,
thank you

Hutch

Post #44 by Hutch » Thu May 05, 2011 1:07 am

Hi Micheal

Drawings are of the era when Blaw Knox was under the ownership of the Babcock group and was of the earlier Bk 90 with round handrails so dates from around 1978/79.The reason for the launch of the BK range was to improve on noise levels and safety over the PF series.I worked as an apprentice with an ex Blaw Knox fitter who was involved in the noise testing of the prototype at Rochester Airport. The whole machine is driven by a large poly vee belt at the front of the machine with power being distributed by multi plate clutches and gearboxes.Final drive to road wheels and conveyors/augers was by roller chain. A hydrostatic version was developed called a Bk 95 and both versions were produced together until the mid eighties when the Bk 90 was dropped.The only reason the Bk 90 was still produced after the Bk95 was that Wimpey Asphalt would only buy mechanical pavers.The BK95 became the 95A in 1986 with the big selling point of hydraulically lifting augers, but the system was clumsey and was really only playing catch up to the european pavers.Bearing life for the conveyors was short due to underspecing of the bearings with many mods to both bearings and grease lines. After three years the BK 191 was introduced as a complete new design with American influence and the Bk 95 dropped.

Regards
Paul

mick h

Post #45 by mick h » Fri May 06, 2011 11:25 pm

hi, great sketches of a 1970s-80s iconic paver.
the bk90 was the best machine that blaw knox developed.I drove the pf90s,bk90s and bk95s. The bk90 had a 8 laying gear range and a 8 gear travel range. When you had selected your laying gear for instance 5th (1st high range) and kept your engine revs to 2000 rpm you got a consistent laying speed' a advantage over the hydrostatic machines (bk95) giving you a better finish to the surface. The company I worked for had the blaw knoxes coupled with the static screeds (about enough extensions to take us upto 5 metres). Eventually when the market had moved on the bk90s we had were coupled up with the dynapac screeds that opened out to 4.75 and shut into 2.5. This was a godsend to all us operators as we hadn't got to build up and break down. By this time though I had moved from driving these to being a screwman. The first machine I had when I was made a screwman was a bk90. Our company used to have 2 man crews (a driver and a screwman). I have got loads of pictures of these machines, just tried to upload one and failed, I am not very good with computers. Hope this is of interest to anyone.

70's steve

Post #46 by 70's steve » Sat May 07, 2011 10:06 am

hi mick ,
mick i'll be most interested in seeing any pictures you have on here ,
thanks

mick h

Post #47 by mick h » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:58 pm

hi, does anybody know where i can buy an old blaw knox pf90c paver as i want to do one up to a show standard cheers

70's steve

Post #48 by 70's steve » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:58 pm

hi mick ,
just a stab in the dark but could try craig plant
http://www.craigplant.com/ let us know how you get on , this is something i'll be most intersted in and watching , even try google , you'd be suprised whats out there :rockon:but on having a little look , best or closest i can find is a pf 95 ex mod http://exmod-uk.com/equip.php?ID=205

mick h

Post #49 by mick h » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:58 pm

hi steve
thanks for that info.I've seen the ex M O D machine, i'm after the pf 90 c with the straight sidearms and 4 cylinder engine, but again many thanks , i'll keep you posted on my progress,cheers.

Holger
Site Admin
Flag: Sweden

Post #50 by Holger » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:25 pm

mick h wrote:I have got loads of pictures of these machines, just tried to upload one and failed, I am not very good with computers. Hope this is of interest to anyone.

Hi Mick, maybe this helps?
viewtopic.php?f=76&t=6668
:rockon:
Some resources:
How-To

Return to “Paving Equipment”