Colour matching

Discuss pavers, rollers, mills and other paving equipment here

Topic author
widget
Flag: Great Britain

Colour matching

Post #1 by widget » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:50 pm

Hi all :wave:
Never seen this done before...... pretty impressive.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZGclK6P448&feature=related[/video]
I want to rust out not wear out

v8detroit
Flag: Ireland

Re: Colour matching

Post #2 by v8detroit » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:33 pm

widget wrote:Hi all :wave:
Never seen this done before...... pretty impressive.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZGclK6P448&feature=related[/video]

thats some job :claphands: :claphands: :claphands:

Hutch

Post #3 by Hutch » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:30 pm

Hi Richard
The material they are using is not normal asphalt but coloured resin based asphalt.It has a lower temperature and tends to stay where it drops with no bleeding out of the colours.About fifteen years ago there was this big idea to replace the anti skid type surfacing in the UK with this due to the nasty chemicals used in anti skid coatings but it all came to nothing due to the cost, a paver had to be cleaned out of all black material, about three days labour for two men.Then there was a problem achieving a consistant colour across all batches and finally the cost of the material about £400 pound a ton.When I was with Tarmac we carried out about three large projects with this material,a junction in northfleet as a trial for Kent Highways,a very funky car park for a squash club in London and a very posh housing development which was done with golden material which looked terrible due to the colour varying between gold and a greeny gold as each load was delivered.

Topic author
widget

Post #4 by widget » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:06 pm

Hi Paul,
All sounds a bit messy!!
We used to do alot of red cycle ways etc with a BB30 or a mini BK (I cant remember the model :doh: ).....oh and quite a few bridge decks in red sand carpet but that was about it when it came to colours.
The only change we used to get was the colour of the chippings (mainly red) :lol:
We also did some trials at least 20 years ago with yet again.....Red .....SMA :roll: for bus lanes.

ruston

Post #5 by ruston » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:10 pm

Talking about colours reminds me of the time when we did some Sunday work on a main road through Bolton, the material should have been supplied from Tilcon's plant at Weaste, Salford, but they could not raise enough vehicles or staff (not sure which) for a Sunday so it came from Tilcon's Ballidon quarry near Ashbourne. I THINK that it was MTA, can't be certain as it was 20 years ago, and we all arrived for 8 am start only to find that nothing had been planed off. Apparently a 'posh' hotel had objected to the noise overnight so work stopped! Anyway we eventually began tipping, only to discover that it should have been laid using RED material and we of course had black on board!! :? Of course it had to be put down as nothing else was available, looked different with the road in red and half in black. ;)

We did sand carpet (hated tipping that, it stuck like sh1t to a blanket in the body) and occasionally green which, at that time, was the most expensive I recall?

Pete.

Topic author
widget

Post #6 by widget » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:06 pm

All in a days work Pete :lol: Was the blacktop gang sober on a sunday ;)

ruston

Post #7 by ruston » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:44 pm

widget wrote:All in a days work Pete :lol: Was the blacktop gang sober on a sunday ;)

Ha ha! It was one of Tilcon's own gangs I think but yes they seemed sober! Now if it had been Charmac doing the job..............who knows :roll: Somehow Sunday work always seemed to have problems, you planned a nice steady morning and nine times out of ten you were still hanging around at teatime!

Pete.

danielschmidt

Post #8 by danielschmidt » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:13 am

Amazing innovation in technology. Really impressive!
Hanlon & Wright, the trusted name in Machinery Relocation

Return to “Paving Equipment”