Aveling Barford Roller

Discuss pavers, rollers, mills and other paving equipment here

Topic author
woodie

Re: Aveling Barford Roller

Post #41 by woodie » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:57 pm

Out collecting at a suppliers the other day, and their landlord was clearing out his part of the yard, in amongst all the rubbish, this was lying, I've been going there for several years and had never even seen it because it was so buried in. Anyway, Ispoke to the guy and told him about my project, I hope that he gets the initiative from my lead and does something with it.

So for all you show offs out there, tell everybody what make it is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

martyn williams

Post #42 by martyn williams » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:07 pm

Looks similar to a Greens,they were built in Leeds,I think Atkinsons took them over.
Any identification plates on it ?
Martyn

Topic author
woodie

Post #43 by woodie » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:15 pm

you were spot on there Martyn, and here's the proof.

It's powered by a 4 cylinder perkie.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
woodie

Post #44 by woodie » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:17 pm

and the plate in the cab says it was manufactured in 1953.

Cab layout is very similar to the Aveling Barford I have.

70's steve
Flag: Great Britain

Post #45 by 70's steve » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:57 pm

:thumbup: wow what another great find !!!! hope this can be saved , and seen up and running , hows your roller doing woodie ? :gooodpost:

Topic author
woodie

Post #46 by woodie » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:46 pm

I'm not sure what will happen with the Greens roller, probably lie around where it is, but I'll keep you posted as I'm in there frequently collecting timber.

My one's going ok, been using it quite a bit to roll in hardcore in our yard. Stuck it in the shed one night after work and freed off the brakes a bit, certainly helps when you can stop it! Not really got much more done to it other than fit a side window to replace the original broken one, got one for the front too, but never got around to fitting it yet.

neilc
Flag: Great Britain

Post #47 by neilc » Wed May 09, 2012 11:06 pm

Hello Woodie, takes me back a few years when I see tackle like this Rugby tarmacadam used to run a similar model plus Blawknox PF65 back in the early 80's. Stepnell Construction also of Rugby had a small fleet of Avelings including your model, they saw very little use and were immaculate. They were auctioned off a few years ago and made very good money. I actually saw the above mentioned working on two separate jobs in Northampton c.1979, interesting days. Stepnells are still extent but Rugby were taken over by Roman Roads, Wolverhampton in the late 80's so are no more. Interestingly there is a similar roller not two miles away from where I now live. Its a runner but needs a bit more tlc I think also minus counter weights below engine bay doors. I think your machine is going to look well without undue effort and a good coat of paint. I also own an Aveling DCO14 ex-Tripod Crest/FT Goodwin, Bedford ARC Clee Hill, Blawknox PF 20 ex-Tripod Crest/FT Goodwin, Wallis Steevens 6-8 ton motor roller complete with original National gas and oil engine, original scarifier and asphalt cutting wheel of 1940 supplied new to the ministry of supply for constructing new airfields in the south of England and Wallis Steevens 8-10 tons roller supplied new to Isle of Wight engineers department in 1950 how it got back to to the mainland I don't know but knowing of its existence I managed to get the farmer to finally part with it after about 4 years and pulled it out of its hedgerow home in Northamptonshire with a 400 bhp Renault tractor. She was pretty stubborn, basically complete but missing scarifier and asphalt cutting wheel, engine bay doors and some engine components again National gas and oil engine very rare. That was in 2005, I have gradually accumulated most of the parts in between working and building a house so have had to prioritise. I have been a member of the RRA since c. 2004. They are very helpful regarding original paint schemes, technical data and individual machine history, you might want to consider joining them. A testimony to British engineering, both the paver and the 6-8 ton Wallis are fully operational. When constructing our drive we put 120 tons of road plannings/MOT type 1 and 150 tons limestone dense base course through that PF20. It never missed a beat followed by my trusty Wallis. LOVE IT! I spent 12 years from leaving school in road surfacing along with my father, uncles and their friends. It was a very tightly knit community where a 7 man machine gang with 100 plus years of combined experience would teach you, now 1 day course and your sorted! This old tackle reminds me of them every time I jump on it. They just don't make men like that anymore. They had my total respect. Anyway, feel like I'm writing war and peace here, hope you find some of this of interest, nice to share it with fellow devotees of the Blawknox/Aveling marques. Have got a few pictures so I'll attempt to get them on soon, Regards Neil

Return to “Paving Equipment”