D8K goes out after a year

Discuss dozers here

Topic author
Jon Umpleby

Re: D8K goes out after a year

Post #21 by Jon Umpleby » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:33 pm

TC ,Been working away this week just got back, last post made me laugh.Wandered what that light on the top of the steeering clutch console was for.It doesn't work or I dont think it does.Now I know why the bonnet has been cut aswell.As for the cab on or off look there is nothing better than the sound of a D8 under load when you are sat in the sadle.Trouble is not many days in the year to enjoy it.I have seen some pictures of a 1977 built 8K with the rops removed in mint condition at a show.

Topic author
Jon Umpleby

Post #22 by Jon Umpleby » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:24 pm

Nick ,looks like a nice tractor you have got there. Is that a k soft cab on her?.Much less hassle with the blade off for moving on the wagon.Had the idea once of trying to find an angle blade for a D8 to make it easier to move by leaving the C frame on the tractor and putting the blade on the back of the trailer.Did this when I had a D6C .It would be handy to put on and off quickly when running with a box.Never found one yet ,have not looked that hard though.Not many angle blades for D8s in this country I dont think.

nick lamb

Post #23 by nick lamb » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:39 pm

Jon,the tractor is an H series with a rops lookslike Westlode cab.I never move D8's with the blade stripped as stripping one and then building it back up again is both time consuming and expensive if a deacent excavator and steady pilot aren't available.In over 20 years and 8 or 9 D8's i've only done it about 3 times out of need.There is enough heavy spanner work involved with D8's without stripping blades down for fun. :D
I had a D6C with angle blade once.It was allright.An 83A 400 series circa 1968.

Return to “Dozers”