CAT D6B ser nos to production year

Discuss dozers here

Topic author
taurus MK1
Flag: Great Britain

CAT D6B ser nos to production year

Post #1 by taurus MK1 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:39 pm

:D Hi going to have a look at a d6b can anyone supply ser no listing for production year, and any d6b pitfalls etc i should be looking at/for?

Cheers John :rockon:

tctractors

Re: CAT D6B ser nos to production year

Post #2 by tctractors » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:23 pm

John I will p.m. my phone number if you buy it to do the final drives, I can dig out the info you are after asap, the D6B is not now a common tractor to see about, they were a sort of D5-D6, the finals where not the best, saying that if they are adjusted as spec' they can stick a good bit, I have repaired plenty of them, the last 1 I pulled to bits was about 5 years ago, I do have some pics' somewere, if the undercart is any good, dont be scared to give it a pop.

Topic author
taurus MK1

Post #3 by taurus MK1 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:12 pm

:wave: Thanks Tony for your reply, i have been to see the D6B, very drawn to it, the undercarriage is very very good, new chains have been fitted sometime in its life, idlers etc very good. Had not been started for along time but with a good booster soon fired up and engine ran very sweetly. Clutch not clearing but would with some positive action with gear levers could not do this as items in front and behind unit. Dozer blade not fitted but present and okay, rear of tractor has been fitted with a very good home produced swinging 3 point linkage, thus the item i was looking for most ser.no.was covered up. Any where else we could date it, it has a leverton engine test etc plate dated 1963 so obviously older than that? There is a steering problem one side, and new band has been fitted but not clearing due to a rough drum, advised drum will need cleaning up? or has drum to come out, is this a hideous job. Very tempted to buy as in good condition generally. Have pictures but cannot post at present.

tctractors

Post #4 by tctractors » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:29 pm

John, I would think if the undercart looks like it can stick a good shift, it could be worth a shot if the asking price sits within your pocket, D6B's are not common on the ground and have a great look to them, plus they are fairly light tractors, the parts situation is still fairly good, I would think they make better Farm Chariots than Bulldozers,so if you are going to pull a bit of " Farm Iron " this is the lump to poke up front.

p.s. brake drum is not a massive task, well not to a knob like me.

Topic author
taurus MK1

Post #5 by taurus MK1 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:35 pm

:) Thanks Tony, i will let you know the outcome.

Topic author
taurus MK1

Post #6 by taurus MK1 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:45 am

:wave: Have purchased D6B, hope to get some photos on sometime, but till then can someone let me now coolant capacity, and correct way of draining.

Return to “Dozers”