Bristol taurus gearbox info

Discuss dozers here

Topic author
rudd86

Bristol taurus gearbox info

Post #1 by rudd86 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:24 pm

Hi, I have a bristol taurus with a nackered main bearing in the gearbox, was wondering if anyone knew what make and model the gearbox was so I could try and get a manual so I can fix the machine. thanks
helping to maintain and fix, jcb 805B, jcb 3C, Bristol Taurus and various dumpers.......

marshallmp6

Re: Bristol taurus gearbox info

Post #2 by marshallmp6 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:11 pm

Hello Andrew. I can't offer you much help on the Taurus but in the absence of any other information I will tell you what I know. I have never worked on a Taurus (I did do a full restoration on a Bristol 20 some years ago) and don't have a workshop manual but I do have a spare sarts book. The gearbox will be Bristols own make and from what I can gather from the parts diagrams, to do anything major to the box you will need to remove the engine first then the gearbix can be removed from the bevelbox and worked on out on a bench. The clutch is typical Borg and Beck and the engine will slide of the input shaft (might be a grease hose etc.to undo) and the gearbox will slide off the bevel pinion shaft, drive is by sliding splined gear coupling. All bearings and seals should be readily obtainable from bearing supplier, gears and shafts maybe not so easy to get. You may :?: :?: get some parts from a Track Marshall dealer as Marshalls bought Bristol in the early 1970s and continued to produce the Taurus for sometime. I think you will find it is a fairly straightforward machine to work on. Hope this helps a bit. Cheers Don.

a51 rob

Re: Bristol taurus gearbox info

Post #3 by a51 rob » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:55 pm

hi i spoke to the man who runs the bristol 20 club he is also a bit of an authority on all the dozers / loaders etc he has a manual apparently and will copy you the pages he is not online but you can ring him n he is always willing to help out

Return to “Dozers”