IH 500 Drott slipping transmission

Discuss dozers here

Topic author
prolater

IH 500 Drott slipping transmission

Post #1 by prolater » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:13 am

Hello All, Newbie here with an IH 500 slipping transmission problem.

First post so I hope I have done this right.
I recently acquired an IH500 Model:5K3 serial:567 and as you prob have guessed am having some problems.

When I first got the machine it did seem to drive in forward ok, but while getting it to where it is which was all up hill the hydraulic pump for the rams etc blew a seal and spewed the oil out unbeknown to me, then the machine stopped going anywhere, well I fixed the pump & seal then put oil back into it then bang this not going forward started and has persisted ever since.

The machine goes well in reveres(power shift) but forward hardly moves, not so bad when it is first started but after 10 minutes or so you have no forward motion at all.
The machine on a whole is in reasonable condition for its age with a few problems that I have been slowly working through.

Things I have checked is the trans oil level which is good, the only thing I am not sure of is the brand of oil that should be in the transmission, a mechanic at the local tractor shop suggested using Caltex torque fluid 414 or Mobile hydraulic 10W but I do not know whether these oils should be really be in it, any suggestions on the actual types of oils that would suit it and be ok would be greatly appreciated, but I am in Australia where some oils are just not available or seem that way such as Hy-Trans.

I have ordered a parts manual & chassis manual not sure what others I should get advice would be welcomed.

So my question to all is what would the problem be with the transmission & what would the fix for this be.

There is a wire or similar type filter in the trans somewhere I believe that feeds the transmission pump but at this stage I do not know where it is or how do I get to it, do I have to drop the under plate or can it be accessed through the top of the gearbox or final drive area?

Thanks in advance for any help & your time it will be appreciated.

Regards prolater

Martyn Henley
Flag: Great Britain

Re: IH 500 Drott slipping transmission

Post #2 by Martyn Henley » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:40 am

G'day Bruce, and welcome to CMN :thumbup:

I am sure you will get some help soon Bruce..

Martyn :wave:

martyn williams

Post #3 by martyn williams » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:02 pm

ATF fluid is the correct grade,put a pressure guage on the transmission.It coud be a tranny pump or bleed the system on the oil cooler.Not sure on the 500.I would put your question on the REDPOWER website for you if you are not on that site.
Some of those guys have 500's
Martyn

Topic author
prolater

Post #4 by prolater » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:20 pm

Hi,
Thanks Martyn for the welcome lets hope so.

B100 Loader,
Thanks for your reply, I have registered for redpower but have been unable to post I have heard the site is not well maintained anymore so I guess I have to wait there as I have read a few posts on red in relation to 500's so yes there are some guys with them.
Thanks for the oil tip, The dash Gage goes into the red when in the forward position & green when in the reverse position so I guess that's poor pressure in forward, but not sure from what or where or why & yes I did crack the joins to the cooler to check for air etc but no luck.

prolater

sean

Post #5 by sean » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:23 am

Hi,no expert on 500s but the same problem existed on 100b series and 100b series 2 drotts,transmission oil should be atf type ,a, or dexron.on torque converter b series machines there is a suction strainer under the cab floor plates,and a transmission pressure filter behind or under the seat,there is a lot of seals in the transmission that when the oil gets warm it bypasses seals and leaves the machine with no drive :shock: ,its not an esey job to sort out,i have been on jobs with drotts with this problem and it can be a real head banger, :dizzy: hope it shines some light on it for you.sean : :claphands:

Topic author
prolater

Post #6 by prolater » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:25 am

Sean,

Thanks for your reply, interesting that other models do a similar thing, I have this gut feeling its going to be a pull down job, although I have not got to the suction pump filter as yet as I am yet to locate it and work out how to get to it, I have removed some parts from the selector/main pump and cleaned some parts with out removing the whole thing but it looked fairly clean, but the machine does drive in reverse very well has heaps of power so starting to think it might be internal internal such as seals etc but really still don't know.
With the oil when we say ATF are we just talking like an every day auto trans fluid or a particular type brand? I have no info on the crawler yet still waiting on manuals etc.

regards

IANOZ

Post #7 by IANOZ » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:32 am

Hi Prolater, Mate welcome to the forum, See if you can get a hold of JIM IN OZ . I think he has had something to do With 500s ,he has a 500 dozer for sale at the moment . We own one sort of , a mate gave it to us ,but have not picked it up yet . Its in pieces . What part of the country are you in ? ian.

Topic author
prolater

Post #8 by prolater » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:30 pm

IANOZ,

hi & thanks for the welcome, I have already had a brief email with Jim in oz I think, & a nice score on the machine in bits, the right price any way, & I am in vic.

regards

IANOZ

Post #9 by IANOZ » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:49 pm

Hi Prolater, By the sound of the gauge showing a drop in pressure when forward is engaged and OK for reverse ,it sounds like your about to find out whats inside a 500 transmisson . I don't know much about machanical side of things ,it sounds like a clutch pack problem. Good luck with it.ian.

martyn williams

Post #10 by martyn williams » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:39 pm

Hello Prolater
I have put your question on Redpower site for you.
Cheers
Martyn

Return to “Dozers”