D7 4T

Discuss dozers here

Topic author
Fowler VF

Re: D7 4T

Post #11 by Fowler VF » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:35 am

Took a while to get the photos off the phone. D7 pushing well and handling as much if not more than the new D6. Where it loses out is on speed on the run back and manouverability. The D6 is on wide tracks and the grousers are fairly low, whereas the D7 has plenty of bite.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Fowler VF

Post #12 by Fowler VF » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:57 pm

And a video of the beast in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj3WcCnuAqw

IANOZ

Post #13 by IANOZ » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:42 pm

Hi Nick ,loved the video :thumbs_up: .The old 7 sounded sweet compared to the 6.Just hope the operator is keeping a close eye on the temp gauge.That steam didn't look good ..ian.

martyn williams

Post #14 by martyn williams » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:33 pm

Nice video nick,do you know a chap called John Williams from Preston on wye?
Martyn

Topic author
Fowler VF

Post #15 by Fowler VF » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:09 pm

Yes, Martyn. Haven't seem him for years, used to buy parts off him.

Poor old D7 has developed a bit of a rumble at the bottom end. Stopped it quick before we did too much more harm. Before you say anything Ian, YES the driver did keep a good eye on the temp guage. She has always puffed like that!

Shame, as we have almost finished the job now. The D6 driver now has grudging respect for the old time stuff; especially when it came round to fuellling up. I doubt the 7 used even a quarter of the fuel for the same work.

Probably push it up on the lowloader and drag it home rather than mess around in the dirt.

Time to get the VF out this weekend, local vintage working day on my farm. Just got enough ground cleared so we should have some fun. I'll just have to drag the plough out of hiding and give it a going over.

IANOZ

Post #16 by IANOZ » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:07 am

Hi Nick ,Well atleast its made its self some money to pay for the repairs to the motor. Now if you had a blade for your VF you could have shown the d6 operator what old machines can do :thumbs_up: Hopefully the 7 hasn;t done its self too much damage. Don't forget to stop having fun on the fowler at the working day long enough to take some photos of the other machines . ian.

IANOZ

Post #17 by IANOZ » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:33 am

Hi Nick ,How about an update on the cat D7? What did you find wrong with the motor and have you got the old girl up and running again.ian.

Topic author
Fowler VF

Post #18 by Fowler VF » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:04 pm

Its been a long time but we finally got round to sorting the D7. Wish we'd started earlier; once we got to it we found nothing major. The noise it made when we stopped it sounded just like a big end, in fact it was a UJ on the front to the crank to drive the auxiliary pump. Having a few problems with the donkey engine at present so we are back to tow starting it. Took it on a little outing last Sunday to Leominster Vintage Day. First outing for the old girl in a long while and first outing with the new rig. I have always had a big old Ransomes TS69 Hexatrac plough for the Fowler but this just didn't seem enough for 13 tonnes of 66 year old D7. So I have been doing some design work and blacksmithing to build a hitch system that would allow me to pull two 6 furrow ploughs at once. I had never used the second plough before, never tried out the hitch, not used the D7 for ploughing before and certainly never ploughed with twelve furrows before. So it all made absolute sense to go straight to an open day with hundreds of people to watch all the mistakes!!
All went pretty well considering, the geometry was more or less perfect apart from managing to bend the “hake” bar by turning too short. I got the two ploughs close to matching up, but still need to do quite a bit of work on the second plough. This earlier Hexatrac should have had an outing on its own to set it up properly. The rig was nowhere near as ungainly as expected; I managed to use a headland no bigger than what I need for a single plough. D7 worked well and pulled in second gear on everything except the heavier land. All of this might mean that we need to go on to the next stage, I have another TS69 in bits and I can feel the urge to build an 18 furrow rig!! Didn’t have time to take any photos, so only have this off my sons phone. If anyone was there and has photos or videos I’d love to see them. Nick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Fowler VF

Post #19 by Fowler VF » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:19 pm

Unfortunately I only have this very short video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wPJWkdislk

Topic author
Fowler VF

Post #20 by Fowler VF » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:06 pm

been given a couple more photos of the 12 furrow rig in action.

Return to “Dozers”