FOWLER

Discuss dozers here

BulldozerD11

Re: FOWLER

Post #31 by BulldozerD11 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:10 pm

John Gaunt wrote:The Fowler Challenger 1, which has a picture in Dave's link, is a very rare machine. It used a twin cylinder version of the Marshall single cylinder 2 stroke diesel with the cylinders vertical rather than horizontal. Unfortunately it was not a success and was discontinued, apparently due to excessive oil consumption and (un)reliability.

Thanks John
I didn't realise that the Challenger One was a 2 cylinder :doh: Sure I've got a photo of the later ones but cannot find it yet :( (got a small backlog on uploading )
The Field Marshall book doesnt really mention the Challengers, has the Marshall /Fowler machines and the Track Marshalls up to the TM 200.
Are there any books John with more details in on the Fowler history. :?:
Sure Ie read a feature on Challengers in a magazine . ?
(plenty of general ones on Cat, just collating all the series codes takes time to find them). :(

Thanks

Dave
Interested in Tractors, Plant, Heavy Haulage or Steam visit http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Tractor_%26_Construction_Plant_Wiki
Help document every manufacturer model build, and record every machine in preservation, clubs and events etc.

XS650
Flag: Great Britain

Post #32 by XS650 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:26 pm

The twin cylinder Fowlers were absolute rubbish apparently. Their was an article in vintage tractor about a poor guy who had to go round the world selling them / soothing owners. He said they were not a patch on the CAT D7 ,if the engine held together the metalwork fell to bits
Not all those who wander are lost.

John Gaunt
Flag: Great Britain

Post #33 by John Gaunt » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:51 pm

There is a little bit about Challenger 1 (and 2) crawlers in "The Story of the Britannia Iron Works" by Michael Lane.
Aparantly the Challenger 1 used the ED5 (twin cylinder) engine rated at 50 bhp, and the Challenger 2 had the ED8 engine (also twin cylinder but 'blown') developing 80 bhp at 1250 rpm. Very few of either machine was sold due to major problems with the engines, high fuel and oil consumption and excessive bore wear. They were introduced in 1950 and discontinued in 1951 !!
The Challenger 2 was 'relaunched' with a Leyland 6 cylinder engine in 1951 which was a lot more successful.

BulldozerD11

Post #34 by BulldozerD11 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:37 pm

John Gaunt wrote:There is a little bit about Challenger 1 (and 2) crawlers in "The Story of the Britannia Iron Works" by Michael Lane.
Aparantly the Challenger 1 used the ED5 (twin cylinder) engine rated at 50 bhp, and the Challenger 2 had the ED8 engine (also twin cylinder but 'blown') developing 80 bhp at 1250 rpm. Very few of either machine was sold due to major problems with the engines, high fuel and oil consumption and excessive bore wear. They were introduced in 1950 and discontinued in 1951 !!
The Challenger 2 was 'relaunched' with a Leyland 6 cylinder engine in 1951 which was a lot more successful.

Thanks John.

I should have taken more photos then if the Challenger 1 is so rare, I have to see if its about this year and get some more.
I'll have to look out for that book for my collection, and another he did on Fowlers The Story of the steam Plough Works (according to Michael Williams book Classic Farm Tractors)

Looking through other magazines I see the green machine is a 4/40 next to the Challenger 1 which was a pre war machine :!:

Cheers :thumbs_up:

Dave
Interested in Tractors, Plant, Heavy Haulage or Steam visit http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Tractor_%26_Construction_Plant_Wiki
Help document every manufacturer model build, and record every machine in preservation, clubs and events etc.

BulldozerD11

Post #35 by BulldozerD11 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:36 pm

John Gaunt wrote:There is a little bit about Challenger 1 (and 2) crawlers in "The Story of the Britannia Iron Works" by Michael Lane.

Found an article in old tractor mag on the challenger 3 :)

And heres some photos of Fowler and Track Marshall machines at UK shows

DSCF0242.JPG

DSCF0243.JPG

DSCF0244.JPG

This one could be a Marshall MP6 tractor or maybe not :!:
DSCF0257.JPG

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
IANOZ

Post #36 by IANOZ » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:09 pm

HI guys ,going to pick up the fowler tomorrow .let you all know what its like when i get home. ian.

Topic author
IANOZ

Post #37 by IANOZ » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:32 pm

HI guys, picked the old girl up today,Mostly happy with it .But it has a few problems .THE old bloke would not part with the books WE need some advise on the clutch.It was not releasing real well .Went over a bump and the leaver on the right hand side near the seat[ he did'nt tell me what it does] went from the upright position to flat on the floor with out us realizing it. then the clutch would'nt work ,tryed adjusting it then found that leaver stopped the clutch from working.Lifted it back to upright position but still can'nt get clutch to release.It was dark when we were trying to do this . The hydraulic pump is chain driven off the flywheel,someone said they are usually diven off the back somewhere?? HAVE found two more not far from where we are [amazing how once you get something ,they start poping up all over the place] SO will see if we can borrow a starter pipe and try and get one made the same . ANY infomation on the clutch and its adjustment greatly appreccated .IAN.

Fowler VF

Post #38 by Fowler VF » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:06 pm

Main clutch is the foot pedal on the left, press down half way to disengage, all the way down to engage the brakes. Watch the clutch flywheel on the left as you put your foot on the pedal, half way down it will slow and then right down it will stop, sometimes have to loose off again a bit and let it turn a fraction to find the gear mesh. Hand lever on right of seat is a hand clutch only on most machines, does what the foot pedal does but allows you to hold the clutch out.

I'll dig out the manual and get it scanned.

Nick

Fowler VF

Post #39 by Fowler VF » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:24 pm

ian

looked at your post again, the clutch is operated by the lever pulling on a wire cable, I reckon that the cable has slipped off one of the runners or something, (or even come disconnected) which is why the hand clutch lever fell to the floor and you can't work the foot clutch now.

Topic author
IANOZ

Post #40 by IANOZ » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:44 pm

HI nick,Armed with your infomation and daylight we got some where today. Last night we were trying to push it in gear with foot on clutch to release the clutch ,now we know why it would not move,because my big foot was no the brakes as well as the clutch duhh!!! So we started it and the clutch worked but not as well as before. THE clutch cable has been joined with clamps ,that foul on the gear shift rod in the front of the gearbox ,so we will replace it.I was told a hydraulic hose blew and sprayed oil on the clutch and that is why it is not releasing properly but i dont think that sounds right. You said the clutch pedal was on the left, ours is on the right. MY thinking is that unless the cable to the clutch is the right length , the brakes would come on before the clutch was dis engaged properly. Right or wrong? The hand clutch leaver is about a foot long ,is that right? The serial no is 4700617 stamped in to the motor . can you give us a the year it was built? GOING to have to find books AS instruction i was given leave a lot to be desired . Dont want to bugger something up due to not knowing how to do it right. HE had told me that behind the decompression set there is a small plunger ,and if it has not been started for a while to push it down and turn it to give extra oil on starting is that right or do you do it every start??? we look and see so many things we dont have any idea what they are or what they do ...heeeellllpppp!!!! LIKE i said dont want to do any thing that might do damage if we dont do it right.. DID what you are suppose to do with dozers, pushed some dirt . ARN'T they an amazing machine!!!pushed a full blade of dirt uphill [first gear] never looked like dieing .i am quite impressed i was not expecting it to go so well. We went to a vintage machinery show a while back and saw a john deere waterloo boy . I thought to my self this thing is flat out pulling it self along , how did they plough and work them. ok guys catch you later. ian.

Return to “Dozers”