A few dozer repairs

Discuss dozers here

Topic author
Rolyd8k

Re: A few dozer repairs

Post #21 by Rolyd8k » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:45 am

Joes1989 wrote:Sweet pics! How long til this D8's back in service?

Joe

Joe,by the time we changed the trans,dropped the sump,rolled a set of mains
and rod bearing in,checked the oil pump and drive,buttoned it up and put the
cab on i guess it will be end of next week before tractor goes out :thumbs_up:
argie wrote:Hi Roly,
The old dear looks in very good shape :thumbs_up: Whereabouts in Cannock are you working? And what are the possibilities of getting photos?
Cheers
Paul

Paul,Down the road past Finnings forktruck, Budges old open cast site thats filled in
we are moving a heap of muck around the site for compaction,by the time its moved
once its time to move it again, you should get some snaps from the road as the heap
is fifteen metrs high and 100,000 cube, six tractors on site :thumbs_up:
chaining up to lift out transmision
undoing the last two bolts
out she comes, steady Eddy :thumbs_up:
loaded and going for re-build before failure after 9000 hrs,check the tyres Carl :thumbs_up:

John Gaunt
Flag: Great Britain

Post #22 by John Gaunt » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:27 am

Great pictures as always, Roly. Great to see in detail how these repairs are carried out :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

RichardJW~

Post #23 by RichardJW~ » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:51 am

Interesting stuff :thumbs_up:
Thanks for posting!

nick lamb

Post #24 by nick lamb » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:40 pm

D8 backends make me shudder,they are hard graft and expensive.
Back in about 1998 ish I had a D8 and a D135A not far from your Cannock job at Cheslyn Hey Borrow pit.Dick Burr had stripped it a few years before and things had gone sour with the landowner.I opened it back up after D.Morgan PLC bought it.I ended up in Wolverhampton Crown court with a Barrister paid for by Morgans after the old landowner took a disliking to me being there.Him and some heavies took a gun to me one night.Two of his men ended up in hospital and I ended up in court!.McNulty's were stripping clay out of the next field with some 631's for Ibstock's and I was pushing new access roads in with the dozers for Morgans.It was all good,red scraper muck if I remember)and I won't forget that job! ;)

DaveS

Post #25 by DaveS » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:23 pm

Nicky,

I feel a book coming on - "Memoirs of a Muckshifting Man" by N. Lamb! :D

You'll only need to do better than the "Portrait of a Muckshifting Man" as published in CN magazine years ago about Brian Johnston!

Dave S.

v64paul

Post #26 by v64paul » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:36 pm

they say there's a book in everyone, i always thought that at times no-one would believe the book of my working life. even though i'm just a fitter i've met some scary people in my time! Nicky, you supply the material and i'll put it down on paper, fantastic stuff being held at gunpoint over an old tip. only young denis could get involved in something like that and still not appear in court himself. not the first or the last time he's dodged a bullet like that. alledgedly.... 8-)
there are old fitters and bold fitters but no old bold fitters...

Anders933
Flag: Sweden

Post #27 by Anders933 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:02 pm

Hi Roly I understand that you do all the repairs yourself having the Catpeople doing things like this is not to think about.
We try to do as much as we can ourselves but we have a TC tractors lookalike , so we are lucky .
We have to be thankfull to all those heroes that never mind the weather or the shit they have to lay in sometimes.
Anders.

tctractors

Post #28 by tctractors » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:33 pm

Anders, some of the jobs I have been "tucked up with" the last few days, have even made my Eyes water a bit, one job is to sort a no start fault on a little CAT315, the snag is its in a fair sized puddle/swamp, the owner said start it up and drive it onto the hard ground to fix it ??????? the other "Task" is on a Moxy front drive line reduction hubs, this also is stood in a puddle that is in a swamp, it cannot move as the one hub has knackered up locking the dumper to the spot, both jobs carry a do you what to do it or not as we can get someone else "feeling", I know that is a load of crap thats the reason I am there, cos' no one else wants to do the crap jobs.

tctractors

modelman093

Post #29 by modelman093 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:00 pm

Roly more cracking pictures and thanks for the reply to my question. You say"just have to shim it for pre-load and backlash" - I have memories (not necessarily fond!) of messing about with engineers blue to check the correct "footprint" of the the pinion on the crownwheel and checking the preload/backlash with dial gauges and cord wrapped around shafts attached to a spring balance to find the force needed to turn them - not right, take it out, increase/decrease the shims and start again! Not really a JUST job! This was not on a D8 but do you have to get up to similar antics to do your job?
Angus

Topic author
Rolyd8k

Post #30 by Rolyd8k » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:14 pm

nicky lamb wrote:D8 backends make me shudder,they are hard graft and expensive.
Back in about 1998 ish I had a D8 and a D135A not far from your Cannock job at Cheslyn Hey Borrow pit.Dick Burr had stripped it a few years before and things had gone sour with the landowner.I opened it back up after D.Morgan PLC bought it.I ended up in Wolverhampton Crown court with a Barrister paid for by Morgans after the old landowner took a disliking to me being there.Him and some heavies took a gun to me one night.Two of his men ended up in hospital and I ended up in court!.McNulty's were stripping clay out of the next field with some 631's for Ibstock's and I was pushing new access roads in with the dozers for Morgans.It was all good,red scraper muck if I remember)and I won't forget that job! ;)

Nicky,you mentioned Mcnulty Bros,i went to there sale on 24/4/99 and bought there
D8K,that D8s at Cannock and would you believe Brenden Mcnulty is driving it,he,s worked
for me on and off for three or four years,the first job the tractor did was push scrapers
at a Bardon Roadstone quarry at Wansford nr Peterborough,when i go to Cannock i,ll get
some pictures to post :thumbs_up:
Mcnultys tractor at Bardons

Return to “Dozers”