Opencast re-instatement D9D

Discuss dozers here

Topic author
argie
Flag: Wales

Opencast re-instatement D9D

Post #1 by argie » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:08 pm

This was photographed on the outskirts of Wrexham about 18 or so years ago. Couldn't get any decent ones of it working but it sounded GREAT! Maybe someone on the Forum can shed some light as to the owner? TRAX was the name on the back and it was working for Clay Colliery Co who were the main contractors on the OCCS.
img015.jpg

img012.jpg

img014.jpg

There was also a small D6D on site alongside a Komatsu D58E and the usual excavator/ADT combos.
img018.jpg

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DaveS

Re: Opencast re-instatement D9D

Post #2 by DaveS » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:03 am

Argie,

There was a D9 with the same name on it, painted in the same amaturish looking way, lying at the side of an opencast near the Scottish village of Colsnaughton where it had been working stripping overburden with a fleet of Cat scrapers.

I think this may well have been about 15 years ago.

The cab and other parts had been removed for what looked like some major repairs.

Dave.

nick lamb

Post #3 by nick lamb » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:59 pm

That tractor is one of four D9G's belonging to the sons of Michael Morgan(Morshan,Wigan).I have worked for them a few times.They have travelled all over the country over the years.I have driven that very machine pictured.It was fitted with a spacer plate D9H engine and was indeed a sweet sounding tractor.It was later fitted with a rops canopy over the cab.I last worked with it a Chorley in 2001.I had some tractors on the job and swapped over with the 9 driver a couple of times.He was pushing TS24's and D9 and boxes all day and wasn't too fond of the job.he prefered the tractor and boxes.I was only too happy to jump up on that particular D9 for a few hours as the grunt from the engine really was smooth!There were four other D9G's on that job and I have loads of pics to post one day.It was sold to a chap in Ireland after this job.Another was sold last year some time and Kevin still keeps the other 2 in his yard.The one with the ripper still goes to work.The other has stood since 2001 awaiting tracks.I'ts actually a good machine if you look beyond the moss and smashed windows!.
When I was working in Scotland one of the brothers had a D9 or 2 on hire to Becher with the 57's.One was at Roughhill with the head of it for weeks.They just didn't seem arsed about them. :dizzy:

Topic author
argie
Flag: Wales

Post #4 by argie » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:27 pm

Dave, Nicky, Thanks very much for the info, I shall ask a friend of mine a bit about it as he used to work with Morshans on the original A55 at Abergele
Paul

nick lamb

Post #5 by nick lamb » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:47 pm

Paul,the D6D may have belonged to J.J.McLaughlin of Wigan.I am not sure but he was running D6C and D's at that time with winches.he now runs D6H/R tractors with some graders too.Some D8's still lurk in his yard also.

Return to “Dozers”