Track Marshall - TM55

Discuss dozers here

Topic author
TM?
Flag: Australia

Track Marshall - TM55

Post #1 by TM? » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:37 am

Hi everyone - pleased to meet you all, what a great wealth of knowledge this site appears to hold. The following photos is of an project I recently acquired and the front photo being taken at the place of purchase and the rear shot after it made it's journey to me.

The issues as we know them so far is a seized L4 Perkins motor and a broken rear (LHS) final drive housing.

Following the acquisition of a motor manual and parts and operational manuals for the machine I've decided to share the journey, as 1 the opportunity for others to perhaps take something from my project and 2 also hoping that there might also be some assistance regarding a few other points that I think might be issues in the future if I don't take the time to fix them now.

Feel free to look and provide constructive criticism where you see fit and I'll take it all on board and do my best to fix the things I can.

Looking forward to hearing from you all - again, thanks for having me on board.

Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Re: Track Marshall - TM55

Post #2 by Mrsmackpaul » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:45 am

Gudday Chris and welcome those final drive housings are the known weak point on Marshall crawlers I have been told its caused by people having the tracks to tight and when it goes under a shock type load there is no more track compression to give dunno if this is true or not and also told damage like this is a lot more common on machines with a blade

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Re: Track Marshall - TM55

Post #3 by FOWLER MAN » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:46 pm

Hi Chris,
I should be able to answer most of your questions, be pleased to help if I can.

Firstly I don't think your tractor is a TM 55.
Production of the Perkins powered TM crawlers started late in 1955. These had the 48 hp. Perkins L4 TA engine like yours. These tractors were first simply sold as "The Track Marshall" and were later called the TM50.
The TM 55 started production in 1959 when the 55 hp. Perkins 4-270 direct injection engine became available and all 55s were fitted with this engine.
As far as your previous post is concerned regarding the "Bonnet Decals" I think you have a bit of work to do before you need them but I can post some good pics when your ready.
Before I move on to answer some of the queries in your other posts. Where in OZ are you ?
I can put you in touch with a friend near Toowoomba, Qld. who used to deal with Marshalls. He has a huge assortment of used TM tractors which he is breaking for spares. I will be very surprised if he can't fix you up with anything you need, including that final drive housing.
Fred

Return to “Dozers”