CAT D9H/D8K/D7G MODULAR CABS

Discuss dozers here

Topic author
yellowiron

CAT D9H/D8K/D7G MODULAR CABS

Post #1 by yellowiron » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:30 pm

It's time I went down the rops route with my D8's {all 22A's}

Now, here's the problem. I was under the impression that all the modular Cat cabs for the D9H, D8K and D7g tractors were the same?
So I got me a good erops from a D9H. There is no way that this cab is wide enough between the two front panel side windows to cut out to fit over my dash. and the D9H controls won't match up without some major surgery to the linkages on the D8! what to do? cut all the front window apertures about and re-glaze, or marry up the linkages? :dizzy:

tctractors
Flag: Great Britain

Re: CAT D9H/D8K/D7G MODULAR CABS

Post #2 by tctractors » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:41 pm

There was a modular foul house to fit a D8 on a Farm I did a D7E F/Drive at last week, I think the owner wanted to sell it as I don't think he has any real plans to fit it on his D8, its just sat in the yard keeping the ground below it dry, if you need any info of the owner just ask.
tctractors

p.s. when you fit a modular cabin the standard dash is removed, the controls are all changed to configure the modular style, I have fitted a few and it rates as a crap job not any use to me so I swerve past them "Always" you cannot change the cabin controls easily, you need to change the linkage on the tractor only.

Topic author
yellowiron

Post #3 by yellowiron » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:59 pm

Hi TC, yes I got that bit worked out, it's not straight forward to modify the linkages especialy as the old 8 is wonky donkey start too. my part No's say the erops iare all the same, but I cant believe that a D9H cab isn't wide enough between the front windows to go over a D8 dash :doh: It's about 6 ins too narrow. But it's going on one way or another!

I noticed on Nicky Lamb's 68A that he managed to cut it to fit his standard dash, that's when I realised that the front panel on a 9H moddy cab is not the same as an 8K. And I am no going to mention the amount of work adapting the 9H backplate!

Have just pm'd you
Last edited by yellowiron on Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigkit

Post #4 by bigkit » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:06 pm

I've done one. :doh: Fantastic when its complete and the air con is on, but what a f**k b%$tard job it is! Allow about 7 days per unit, you may need more. The cabs go on no problem its all the control rods, decelerator, brakes and dead man!!!!! Oh and the heater, air con, seat, blade lever, winch stack!!!!!!!!! :? :? :? :? :? It just goes on.............

I've got the photos, the scars and the scrap left over in the yard to prove it! But the tractor looks bloody good after! :D :D :rockon:

Topic author
yellowiron

Post #5 by yellowiron » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:20 pm

Hi Bigkit, I have just been studying your pics on the forum! nice job feller!

I take it you adapted the tractor controls to match the modular dash setup? ie you have left the cab dash in?
Do you know what your cab was originaly fitted to?

bigkit

Post #6 by bigkit » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:46 am

Thanks for the positive feedback. The whole dash panel comes out. Another challenge as you've got to refit all the gauges. The modular can has the dash panel in the rail under the front window. So much better. My cab was off a D7G and I was lucky the seller was breaking the tractor so I could keep going back and robbing bits I missed! Downside it was half a day round trip for the odd push rod and bracket!

Topic author
yellowiron

Post #7 by yellowiron » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:55 am

I'm on a sticky wicket with this cab because 1, it's a D9 cab, 2,my tractor is direct drive and 3,it's donkey start. I also only have the 9H back plate which is 7ft 5ins wide and needs shortening a good bit each side then re-welding.

You were lucky in respect of finding a cab off the same model of tractor as your own. There are differences between them, despite what Caterpillar would have you believe!

I think that taking all things into consideration, I will go against the grain and modify the cab front panel as it's the easiest option and the leist work. I can then keep my original dash and brake pedals and all the donkey engine controls in the dash too.

bigkit

Post #8 by bigkit » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:02 pm

It would be a good option to keep all of your levers and gauges etc original, it will save a lot, I mean A LOT of work. You've just got to keep the integrity of the cab and make it look good! This could be a mission...............

Good luck :thumbup:

Topic author
yellowiron

Post #9 by yellowiron » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:36 pm

Thanks Bigkit, will put up some pics when I get chance!

bigkit

Post #10 by bigkit » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:36 pm

The story in pictures...................it started with a little knocking, then an engine, then a cab.........

I still miss her, but like any good woman the operating costs can be exorbitant :roll:

Back to front pics again :doh: sorry!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Dozers”