Mini Excavators Queries

Discuss compact excavators here

Topic author
Nick Drew

Mini Excavators Queries

Post #1 by Nick Drew » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:39 pm

Hi Guys,

Been talking to SRB about possible purchase of a Cat mini excavator, as the 13 ton machine I was going to purchase is on hold for a bit until I am confident that we are over this current economic downturn. :cry: :x :(

Has anyone had much to do with the Cat mini range?

Over the last week I have been in contact with a lot of sellers and nothing on offer in my price range has really impressed me :dizzy:

Here are a few shots of some of the machines I have looked into :roll:

Nick :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

martyn williams

Re: Mini Excavators Queries

Post #2 by martyn williams » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:42 pm

I was impressed by the Volvo my mate got,used in on a pool digging job.Had bags of power. We had a lend of a Cat mini digger from Finning last year,nice machine.There seems to be plenty of used machines for sale.The engines on the machines seem very reliable,you just need to look for one that has been looked after and not abused.What about an ex demo machine Nick?

Robban_C

Post #3 by Robban_C » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:55 pm

I guess that you REALLY are longing for your own excavator? :D
There you see, I really know what you're up to! :mrgreen:

Are 2,5-3 ton your preferred size?
Is work at home on your farm the only plans for it or do you plan to use it at work as well? (Of course you do, silly me! :oops: )
You have the tractor, all you need is a trailer and you are ready! :thumbs_up:

The first one, the Hitachi has a bent working light on the boom.

The Volvo has a freshly repainted left corner counter weight. It also has some scratches on the engine hood. The door also seem to have seen some fresh paint. The tracks are aftermarket ones (I can tell by the thread pattern) and you know what I have said about those. The ones on the machine might be good anyway but I do not know that for sure. It has had the U/C repainted as well. It has both grading and hammer hydraulics, you can tell that by the double quick connectors on the dipper, the one at the very back is a big one going straight to the tank (via the filter) without going through the valves.

The Vio 25 seem to have a new seat (looking at the plastics on the back support). Is that rust water from the boom pin/bushing? It has a quick hitch that seem to be very low giving better geometry and higher digging forces than a higher quick hitch. :thumbs_up: And several buckets are always handy. Is it missing a quick connector for the grading hydraulics on the dipper?

The Kobleco seem has rust above the door. 4 buckets and a quick hitch is good but the q/h is higher than on the Yanmar. The boom ram protection is slightly bent.

The Yanmar B25 has 3(?) buckets and probably a quick hitch (cannot tell from the pics). That mirror is good. :thumbs_up: I have thought about one for my own machine. That white "P" behind the door is some kind of logo that should not be there. Is that a rubber list hanging out from the door in front of the door opening?

About quick hitches:
Make sure you get a quick hitch that are easily obtainable in GB. There are frequent questions on Maskinisten "Where do I find buckets for this quick hitch" and then they show a pic of a quick hitch manufuctured by some retarded village blacksmith in South Korea. :D

All machines seem to have short dippers but I am not sure.

Most of the "faults" that I have mentioned are minor ones but some of them tells a story about the machines.
Some of my comments end with a question mark, do not mind answering them, they are just comments.

Another comment:
It is spring (at least where you live) and people will (hopefully) soon start calling you with new garden projects in their mind. Do not bother about minor defects, get a machine and start earning money! :thumbs_up:
Volvo EC45 PRO -06
Volvo EC35 -01
MB-Trac 800 turbo
Bigab 10-14 hook lift trailer
MF 3165, Poor Ferguson

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/RobbanxC

Jack

Post #4 by Jack » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:59 pm

When we did our extension on the house we used a Volvo EC25 and it was really good machine, apart from realy bad shacking with the breaker and i mean really bad, Soo dont pick that!

SRB
Flag: Great Britain

Post #5 by SRB » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:33 pm

Left, (well i seem to have a habit of starting posts with right .......)

I'm not going to tell you how to suck eggs Nick, check for skirt damage and signs of grease..

for example, this machine looks sound at first glance,
302 1.jpg

till you notice the lifting eye welded to the stick...
302 2.jpg

then the skirt damage...
302 3.jpg

Another consideration is how often (if ever) are you going to move it??

SB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
He who hingeth aboot, getteth hee-haw

Topic author
Nick Drew

Post #6 by Nick Drew » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:44 pm

Hi Stuart,

As ever sound advice there mate !! Thank you :thumbs_up:

I must admit it is hard to find machines that are looked after to my standards but I know that we will find one ;)

We don't intend to move the machine that much, it is primarily going to be used at home, of course small jobs will inevitably come along but there are plenty of farmers around here who will move the machine about for beer money!!

Our main wants are a long stick and Q-Hitch if possible and at least 3 buckets

Nick :P

Tracshovel
Flag: France

Post #7 by Tracshovel » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:30 pm

Nick,

There is so many used machines on the market that it makes it a minefield to find the one suitable for you. Our experience has found that the CAT machines are usually well humped by the time they are are sold. The side skirt damage SRB shows is very common. I must say that CAT have slipped up here with machine protection - those panels cost a fortune to repair. Also the rear hood takes a fair beating, cab fittings are poor.

Other things to look for especially on the long dipper machines are the top ram/cylinder for damage - lots of 3 and 5 tonners work inside buildings grading floors and doing drainage. They often wack the booms of the roof/steel beams etc. We had one guy dislodge a bison concrete floor beam above him...it landed on the cab! Just as well FOPS structures actually work :)

Many machines do not see grease from the day they go out untill they come back in again so check all the usual pins and bushes. Check the rubber tracks for damage - again they take a lot of abuse either from bucket strikes or from guys using the machine as a bulldozer to grade type 1 because they don't have the skill to grade using the bucket!

JCB machines get a good name for second hand machines - fairly cheap to repair etc but the cabs can be a bit rough and personally I don't rate the machines...there are smoother, better machines out there.

Tukachi machines seem to last well as does the Neuson machine - many guys never have to touch them in the first few years.

Try and buy a machine from somebody you know..you get a better idea of the type of life it's had.

Robban_C

Post #8 by Robban_C » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:39 pm

Tracshovel wrote:... grade type 1 ....

Could someone please explain that term to me? There seem to be some holes in my English. :D

A few comments about having the skill to grade with the bucket:
I would say that many compacts are driven by the wrong people such as carpenters, plumbers etc. They are usually very good at what they do but they should stick to it as driving an excavator is something completely different as you all know.
I have seen drainage around houses that were just backfilled, not graded at all and the guys that had done the job said that the rest where manual labour that should be done by the house owner. It looked like the surface of the moon!
It would be very embarrassing to leave the place like that unless specified by the cumstomer.

Sorry Nick, that was off topic.
Volvo EC45 PRO -06
Volvo EC35 -01
MB-Trac 800 turbo
MF 3165, Poor Ferguson

Topic author
Nick Drew

Post #9 by Nick Drew » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:47 pm

Hi Robban,

Type 1 is a name we use here in the UK for Roadstone (Hard core) that is of a high quality, from time to time you may hear it reffered to as 803 also.

Nick :thumbs_up:

Robban_C

Post #10 by Robban_C » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:03 pm

Still a little dizzy :dizzy: but I think it is what we call "bärlager", crushes stones/rocks in the size 0-30 mm, used for getting stronger surfaces such as under asphalt.

Anyway, I understand the meaning of the expression. :thumbs_up:
Volvo EC45 PRO -06
Volvo EC35 -01
MB-Trac 800 turbo
MF 3165, Poor Ferguson

Return to “Compact Excavators”