Hydrovane Engine

Discuss construction equipment here

Topic author
adg
Flag: Wales

Hydrovane Engine

Post #1 by adg » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:43 pm

Can someone provide the make and model information for the 4 cylinder diesel engine that was used in Hydrovane fast tow machines? The machine appears to be similar to Martyn's machine featured in another thread.

I'm considering using one of these engines to replace a 3 cylinder Kubota engine depending whether I can couple it to the pump. If I do decide to go ahead there may be a number of hydrovane spare parts...

Al

FOWLER MAN

Re: Hydrovane Engine

Post #2 by FOWLER MAN » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:20 pm

Hi,
All the small Hydrovane compressors I worked on were fitted with Perkins 4-108 engines.
Fred

Topic author
adg

Post #3 by adg » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:13 pm

Thanks Fred :thumbup:

martyn williams

Post #4 by martyn williams » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:06 pm

Perkins 4.107/108 but some had a ford engine but not many of them.Later machines had a Lister Petter in the HV series
Martyn

Topic author
adg

Post #5 by adg » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:31 pm

This is a picture of the engine, the fuel filter is missing but a brand new one is ready to fit.

I removed the coupling inspection plate to take a look at the interface between the engine and compressor, it looks to be a solid affair? Is there a cushion coupling or is it simply splined?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

martyn williams

Post #6 by martyn williams » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:05 pm

The engine drive coupling to air end looks knackerd,most had a peg coupling. Remove canopy,drain fuel tanks first to reduce weight of it.remove front cowl and pipes.Remove ring of bolts around the air end to engine housing I think there are 12.Pull air end off engine coupling.The air end is heavy. You have a Perkins engine there.They are a good unit.
Martyn

Topic author
adg

Post #7 by adg » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:11 pm

Thanks for the info Martyn.

I hope to get the unit back home next week, I can then start stripping it down and take a better look.

I can then look into coupling the Kubota Diesel-Kiki hydraulic pump onto the engine. The hydraulic pump shifts 11cc per rotation for two of the pumps and 7cc on the third. The old engine (D1402) used to develop about 29bhp @ 2600rpm (when new apparently), does anyone know what the power curve looks like for the Perkins, I imagine it should be similar?

Would it be worth looking at swapping the pump for an alternative higher flow unit?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Construction Equipment”