Discuss construction equipment here

Topic author
FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

fowler mixers

Post #1 by FOWLER MAN » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:18 am

Hello
Any Fowler mixers still out there. :?:
I haven't seen any since the 1950's. In case you think I'm pulling your legs they did make
mixers. :o Just visible here is a 5-3 1/2 mixer and a couple of big closed drum mixers with feed hoppers . Photo. taken at the Fowler works.
Sorry the photo's so poor.
img106.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BulldozerD11

Re: fowler mixers

Post #2 by BulldozerD11 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:09 pm

FOWLER MAN wrote:Hello
I haven't seen any since the 1950's. In case you think I'm pulling your legs they did make
mixers. :o Just visible here is a 5-3 1/2 mixer and a couple of big closed drum mixers with feed hoppers . Photo. taken at the Fowler works.
Sorry the photo's so poor.
img106.jpg

Hi Fred, never seen one but they are shown in the back of a fowler 'Road Making Machinery' catalouge reprinted By the RSL from a early 1920's original which mainly features steam rollers.
Has testomonials from 1924 and 5 from india and the colonies and features a few Motor rollers. with a Stone Crusher and scarifiers also mentioned

Dave
Interested in Tractors, Plant, Heavy Haulage or Steam visit http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Tractor_%26_Construction_Plant_Wiki
Help document every manufacturer model build, and record every machine in preservation, clubs and events etc.

Topic author
FOWLER MAN

Post #3 by FOWLER MAN » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:30 pm

FOWLER MAN wrote:Hello
mixers. :o
]

Hello
I found a couple of photos of surviving 5/3.5 mixers from about 1936. :o The Fowler PA1 engines looked very simular to the Lister D. :think:
I beleive the photos were taken since the year 2000 so these are probably still out there. :thumbup:
img124.jpg
003.JPG

Fred
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BulldozerD11

Post #4 by BulldozerD11 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:01 am

:claphands: Good find there Fred.

The odd mixer turns up at some of the shows, so one day mabe we will find a restored Fowler one. There is a Rare (unique?) original Fowler Grit spreader that worked with a Fowler Tar spraying roller that appears a some of the Yorkshire shows ocasionally with a load of other road making kit.

Also see a number of small crushers about but not seen a Fowler one yet. :(

Seen a couple of T. Smith (Rodley) Ltd machines recently which were also made in the Leeds area.
Interested in Tractors, Plant, Heavy Haulage or Steam visit http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Tractor_%26_Construction_Plant_Wiki
Help document every manufacturer model build, and record every machine in preservation, clubs and events etc.

stenejohn

Post #5 by stenejohn » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:41 pm

First seeing this type of mixer.
By the way nice post.

Thank you.

Topic author
FOWLER MAN

Post #6 by FOWLER MAN » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:06 pm

Hi,
Don't just skip past this post thinking, "it's just an ancient mixer." ;)
Take a good look at the pic. its more than just a mixer :!: :!:
It is a Fowler machine and accoring to the info it's powered by a 5hp. Petters M.
The mixer is fitted with a winch powered by that same Petters engine :? If you follow the rope round the sheave blocks it is being used to lift the two wheeled barrow which is dissapearing to the next level. :thumbup:
5hpFowlerCementMixerWinchLarge.jpg

Those barows must have taken a bit of handling :doh: Perhaps that's why they were called "Dobbin Barrows." :roll:
What would HSE make of that setup . :?: :?: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Construction Equipment”