Hourly rates for 13/14 ton Excavator

Discuss construction equipment here

martyn williams

Re: Hourly rates for 13/14 ton Excavator

Post #11 by martyn williams » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:05 pm

Hello Nick
I was operating a Poclain 60, 20 years ago and getting £6.50 per hour.I think your best option is--- get a 3ton mini excavator,a trailor and a small tipper maybe a compressor and tools and work from home.That is the market these days.A mate of mine is doing what you wish to do.He can only get enough work for his 360 machine by doing the odd job for various mates.He cant get enough work for it because the large hire companies eg Hewdens etc can push a machine out cheaper because they have big fleets.I think what you would like to do could be done up to 10 years ago but much harder to do now.There are two smallish firms by me use tractor,plant trailor 6/10 ton machines and a Cheftain tipper.
Best of luck mate
Cheers
Martyn

d4c24a

Post #12 by d4c24a » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:28 pm

on a site near me is a hitachi ZX130 with tilt hitch ,the operator is mustard and he is getting £18.50 per hour client supplies diesel,he usualy does golf course work ,but takes on ground work for the winter ,this is the reason i dont run my own machine ,too much hassle , not enough pay :dizzy:
knowing less and less about more and more until pretty soon i will know almost nothing about practically everything

martyn williams

Post #13 by martyn williams » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:40 pm

Even transporting machines around is expensive, wanted to move a machine 8 miles. I contacted 7 firms all wanted £80 for one hours work, some plus VAT.Sign of the times.

Topic author
Nick Drew

Post #14 by Nick Drew » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:56 pm

God...Its all Doom & Gloom....Off up to the end of the garden to hang myself!! :lol: :lol:

A bit of a rethink required :roll: :roll: :cry: :cry:

Nick

Robban_C

Post #15 by Robban_C » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:52 pm

Nick, don´t worry about those guys that doesn´t charge enough. They´ll soon be out of business when they have repairs to do and no money to finance it.

A story about a customer trying to rip you off:
I was talking a year ago with a guy representing a house manufacturer about making a foundation for one of their houses. The tricky part was that I was supposed to do the work and buy the gravel, sour and drain pipes, do the concrete work while they would buy the material for the ground (insulation, heating pipes, reinforcement etc). So I had to do some calculations to find out the correct pricing.
His offer was far below what I wanted for the work. I don´t remember the numbers but he offered me about 60% or so of what I was asking for. The result was that I turned his offer down (is that the right expression?). I did some jobs for other customers instead.

A month ago I spoke to another house manufacturer about making foundations. A few weeks ago he called me and asked about a job. It was the same deal as above so I did the same calculations and called him. It turned out that my price was 2000 SEK higher than he had expected. That´s about 1 per cent from his calculations! :thumbs_up:
He talked to the customer and recommended me for doing the job. The customer choose me and here we are, I got what I wanted. :thumbs_up:
I might even get the job of doing the foundation for the garage as well. And I´ll probably do some planning of the lands around the house etc.

So forget about those that are trying to rip you off!

d4c24a:
"the operator is mustard"? I´d appreciate if you can explain that for me. To me it means that the operator should be used on a sausage. :thumbs_up:
Volvo EC45 PRO -06
Volvo EC35 -01
MB-Trac 800 turbo
Bigab 10-14 hook lift trailer
MF 3165, Poor Ferguson

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/RobbanxC

d4c24a

Post #16 by d4c24a » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:43 pm

mustard = good,very good ,as for people who dont charge enough ,in the UK the hire market is very competitive,there is always someone ready to do it for less ,a Friend of mine who is in the construction business has recently hired nearly brand new 9 ton dumpers for £190 a week ,that is from a major hire company,the hire market is cut throat in the UK ,the key seems to be get your own work / contracts,i operate a near brand new machine ,have a company van, clothes, boots,and training supplied and get my money every week on the dot,and a good rate to boot :thumbs_up:
knowing less and less about more and more until pretty soon i will know almost nothing about practically everything

martyn williams

Post #17 by martyn williams » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:08 pm

Nick,dont give up hope.the type of contracts to aim for are telecom or other utilities.One firm in Devon made a packet on this type of work.

Robban_C

Post #18 by Robban_C » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:26 pm

d4c24a, thanks for explaining for us foreigners. :thumbs_up:
And congratulations to your fine contract.

Nick, what about making house foundations? I don´t know if the house market is as hot in UK as it is in Sweden but it could be a good idea. Your machine is about the ideal size for such jobs.
The downside is that you have to do other things than just digging, but thats the price you have to pay. And some of those things are quite exhausting to do.
To me it seems that house foundations is good money if you get to work with the right people that don´t try to screw you.
It´s even quite good money when using such a small machine as the one that I have although a bigger machine would mean even better money.
I don´t know how foundations is done in the UK but I´m willing to share my experiences about "the Swedish way" if you think that foundations is the way to go.

Keep up the good work!
Volvo EC45 PRO -06
Volvo EC35 -01
MB-Trac 800 turbo
Bigab 10-14 hook lift trailer
MF 3165, Poor Ferguson

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/RobbanxC

Topic author
Nick Drew

Post #19 by Nick Drew » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:47 pm

Robban_C wrote:d4c24a, thanks for explaining for us foreigners. :thumbs_up:
And congratulations to your fine contract.

Nick, what about making house foundations? I don´t know if the house market is as hot in UK as it is in Sweden but it could be a good idea. Your machine is about the ideal size for such jobs.
The downside is that you have to do other things than just digging, but thats the price you have to pay. And some of those things are quite exhausting to do.
To me it seems that house foundations is good money if you get to work with the right people that don´t try to screw you.
It´s even quite good money when using such a small machine as the one that I have although a bigger machine would mean even better money.
I don´t know how foundations is done in the UK but I´m willing to share my experiences about "the Swedish way" if you think that foundations is the way to go.

Keep up the good work!

Hi Robban,

I have worked for many years doing housing site work and it is an area that I really enjoy, I like to go onto a site from new and do all the roads & sewers and then dig the footings (foundations) all house drainage and finally topsoiling of the gardens :D

At the end of the day I will have to take whatever work I can get for the machine, I would like to report that although I have been slightly concerned by some of the things I have read here I am confident that I can be a success, after all the last time I was in business it went really well for 2.5 years and it was only a bad customer that dragged me down but that is the chance you take!!

I dont just want to be Mr average "Joe Bloggs" who drives the digger!! :roll: I dont think you can beat the feeling of being of being your own boss.

Only time will tell of course and maybe in a couple of years time Guys here at the board will be telling me "I told you not to do it" but I will take my chances ;)

Nick 8-)

martyn williams

Post #20 by martyn williams » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:05 pm

Hello Nick
I wish you well on your venture.
Cheers
Martyn
Some thing to cheer you up click on link and turn up your speakers

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jHPOzQzk9Qo

Return to “Construction Equipment”