1989 JCB 3CX Brake Pipe Replacement

Discuss construction equipment here

Topic author
cby2k1
Flag: Great Britain

1989 JCB 3CX Brake Pipe Replacement

Post #1 by cby2k1 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:55 pm

Just wondered if anyone had done it / has any advice on replacing the brake pipes on an '89 3CX Grey Cab. Realised at the weekend that I've got no brakes. Right pedal goes to the floor with no bite, left pedal will bite when pumped but fades. On closer inspection looks like the LHS has been leaking to the point where the fluid is now below the minimum - although both sides are under the minimum now so i'm guessing the right has also leaked out at an earlier time and I didn't notice as the pedals were connected.

It seems straight forward enough to replace - although getting to the place where they go through the floor seems like the biggest challenge. I'm wondering whether it might be as easy to just replace the full length of pipe on both sides including the join and part inside the cab (parts 7,8,9,10,11 in the diagram). Rather than trying to unscrew the pipe from the join where it meets the floorplan

Jeremy Rowland

Re: 1989 JCB 3CX Brake Pipe Replacement

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:07 pm

Hi Chris and welcome :wave: although I have not done this job before where brake pipes are concerned it would make a lot more sense to replace the lot, any half decent motor supplier or garage should be able to knock you up some new pipes; I'd just Google your local companies and see what comes up.

Jeremy

topkit
Flag: Great Britain

Re: 1989 JCB 3CX Brake Pipe Replacement

Post #3 by topkit » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:52 pm

As Jeremy says i would make a set of brake pipes up using something like a classic car brake pipe kit where you get a roll of copper pipe and cut it to length put new fittings on and swage the pipe. When you refill the system dont forget to use the 15 grade light hydraulic oil - do not use brake fluid otherwise you will destroy the seals in the master cylinders.

Return to “Construction Equipment”